Corn husks...

mkkayla
Supporter in '14

Post   » Tue May 27, 2008 10:17 am

Amy, sorry I'm lat to this thread, but to answer your question about what to do with the corn... I used to throw away the corn, but now I wash it and freeze it and cook it for a soup kitchen. I started cooking for a soup kitchen once every 4 months on the third Sunday, different churches take each Sunday. Anyway, I buy 10-14 corn in the cob per week, by the time my Sunday rolls around I have 120-140 corn on the cobs to cook up in addition to our chicken, mashed potatoes or rice, and greens. They love it! I just have to remember to unload my freezer periodically and take them to the big freezer at church or there will be no room for my food.

Maybe there is a soup kitchen around you who will take the corn?

Alibabble

Post   » Tue May 27, 2008 11:43 pm

Is it wrong that I now want to get corn for supper? Not for me, just so I can't make little corn husk presents. I'm thinking the rabbits might love them too.

EllieMom

Post   » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:07 pm

My son's girlfriend works at Whole Foods, and she just told me could me all the organic corn husks I want! I don't think she's ever seen anyone so excited about getting "garbage" as I was when she offered.

rshevin

Post   » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:17 pm

How exciting! My parents LOVE corn and brought me a bag full of husks this weekend. The boys and I were all excited.

I'd still wash the organic husks though. I wash all my veggies, organic and traditional. I figure the organic are more likely to be fertilized, er, "naturally" so best to wash them too.

Caspersmom

Post   » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:38 pm

babytulip07, I tear off very thin strips of corn husks for Casper to eat, maybe you could try that for Maddie?