GP living will?

Ledasmom

Post   » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:13 am

Glad to see this thread, as it's something I've been pondering. We're going on vacation for two weeks, and the boys will be boarding for ten days of that. We will be, at times, unreachable (camping where cell phones don't work so well), so, in the event of an emergency, these decisions may be up to their caretaker.

Brimstone
For Rocky

Post   » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:05 pm

I certainly don't want to freak the family out. Maybe I won't ask the "what to do with the remains" question, especially when the daughter is with her mom. The pigs are the very first pets of the little girl (age 9). I don't want to send her off on her trip overseas thinking what could happen to her pigs. If (God forbid) something happens, I can always keep a body in my freezer until they get home and want to decide. That's what my mom did when my last childhood guinea pig died while I was on vacation. Mom decided not to tell me unless I asked about the pig when I called home. For whatever reason I didn't ask about Elizabeth (bad, horrible piggy slave that I was back then), so I didn't find out until I got home. Her remains stayed in the freezer, which I refused to open, for another 2 months until I was ready to deal and say goodbye.

I do want an understanding of what this family would prefer regarding vet care and health decisions. The pigs in question are 2 healthy, young females and I don't foresee any problems (*furiously knocks wood*). The family has only had them for about 4 months and I don't think they've had lengthy interactions with their vet yet. Hell, I have had lengthy interactions with my vets but I don't think they would be able to guess my wishes for my pets.

P.S. to Sef - you're cheap! I'm charging $12 per day for boarding the 2 pigs, although I am providing hay, pellets, and veggies. And I guess if you charge $5 per day per pig, then $12 per day for 2 pigs isn't such a difference in price.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:40 pm

Right -- I ask that they provide their own hay and pellets; I supply the veggies. I think $12 is more than reasonable if you're using all of your own stuff.

GuineaPinny

Post   » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:45 pm

I would feel uncomfortable if a petsitter went into great detail about remains, and had more specifics about the pig getting sick than day to day care. It would make me wonder if they've had to deal with piggies passing and getting sick under their care before and so incorporated it into their contract. I agree it's good to cover the bases but I think in some forms it could be off putting.

eta: not to say that's what you're doing Brimstone! Just thinking about hypothetical petsitters based on what we're talking about.