weight loss in older piggy

Tracy

Post   » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:42 am

Inca's gained weight! Part of me thinks it may be a fluke, but I'm about ready to do a Happy Jig! Last night she was ~660g; that's up 10%. Maybe the higher tapazole dose is helping, even though we don't know for sure that she has hyperthyroid (presumed based on fast metabolism, insatiable appetite, and lump in neck).

Since her heart is better (no longer racing) and her weight is up a bit, I'm less nervous about having her anesthetized for a blood draw and possibly X-rays. We may do that this weekend, if vet's schedule can accommodate. I want to check her kidneys (since treating hyperthyroid often reveals kidney disease that's been masked) and her T4, plus whatever else we can learn from her blood.

She seems active, alert, mobile -- normal, if not happy. That's never really changed. But she is filling out a little, at last. Fingers crossed the trend continues.

Tracy

Post   » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:19 am

Well, Inca went back to the vet over the weekend. I was feeling good enough to have her anesthetized for a blood draw. Of course, wouldn't you know it -- all her organs seem to be functioning normally, and her T-4 was normal, too. Doc said her heart was a bit fast, but not racing like last time. Weight was 624g -- down from last month's visit (634g), yet better than her low of 600g.

After rads, Inca was snuffley for a while. She was kept in an oxygenated cubby, and we came home with Bactrim and metacam just in case some infection/inflammation was at work. More likely, Inca may have aspirated some saliva or food remnants while on her back (despite the vet swabbing her mouth). She was snorty just the one day and now seems better (though I'm still giving the meds for a week). It was enough of a scare, though, that I really don't want her anesthetized anymore. I had been thinking maybe another session for Xrays, but honestly, I don't think we'll learn anything.

I needed a refill for the tapazole, too, and vet discovered we've been giving the wrong dose (Grrr!). So now we're giving the dose we should have been giving for the past month, plus we may double it down the line (following cat protocol if initial dose does not seem to help).

Inca's neck "nodule" has not gotten bigger and does not seem to be positioned where lymph nodes would be; we still think it's her thyroid. Vet does not want to aspirate it: "If we stick her thyroid it will get angry and could result in a thyroid storm."

Since Inca seems okay, I think my plan may be just to continue feeding her extra and love her to pieces for our remaining time together. (She is now 5.5 years old.) Don't think we're ever going to figure this one out. If she gets to a point where she's suffering (or perhaps if I can't bear to see her lose more weight), I'll say goodbye and send her off.

But for now, still hoping the tapazole may help...now that we're at correct dose.

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:53 am

I think the lower heart rate and the stabilized/increased weight are good signs. The main thing--she's still a happy furgirl.

Tracy

Post   » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:49 pm

I thought maybe Inca was gaining weight with new tapazole dose because she went from 624g at the vet to 675g at home a few days later. BUT, now she's back down to 600g.

How much weight fluctuation is normal? I haven't read a ton of threads to find out, but someone mentioned 15g and someone else mentioned 5%. And on the weight page, info mentions one ounce is okay (28.35 grams).

Guess I need to weigh her the same time of day each time, for starters.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:07 pm

My big pigs (2lb6 - 2lb 14) can fluctuate by an ounce (30 grams) or so. I always weigh first thing in the a.m. before breakfast - or hay bin refill.

A smaller pig should fluctuate less.

Tracy

Post   » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:22 pm

Hmm, just reread my most recent posts about Inca and see I miswrote something -- we did not get Xrays when blood was drawn.

Anyway, I've been giving her tapazole (and supplemental feedings), and she's holding her weight around 650g yet not gaining. After gradually increasing the tapazole dose, I'm about to start the double dose (for Inca that's .32cc at 5mg/ml), per cat protocol, after which I will really conclude this is not hyperthyroid. Her neck lump is now floating around, seemingly unattached, so I no longer think it's a thyroid tumor (vet to plapate soon to confirm).

We may do a FNA to check it the lump and try to learn more, but I'm always nervous about Inca under anesthesia given her age (now 5y9m), low weight, and possible heart probs.

So pretty soon we may try Plan B, which is heart meds. We thought Inca's rapid heart and breathing (plus weight loss) were secondary to hyperthyroidism (because echo didn't show heart issues and because her neck lump seemed like thyroid at the time, and because heart is often secondary to thyroid), but maybe this is really a primary heart problem...or something else entirely.

Don't think any more Xrays are in Inca's future, especially since last anesthesia caused some breathing problems. But maybe an ultrasound, if my vet thinks that may help. Her last bloodwork looked okay. We remain stumped.

I'll post again if we learn more or are able to treat more successfully. And, in the meantime, hoping she's still alive and well in a few weeks for the Boston Pignic...followed by the Blessing of the Animals in early October.

Inca really seems fine; she's just little. But I know our days together are numbered and am appreciating every minute!

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:30 pm

Sounds like a trial of heart meds might be a good idea, since her thyroid seems not to be an issue. The breathing and low weight do seem to indicate a potential problem. Would your vet be willing to give it a try, even without ultrasound?

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:40 pm

Thanks for the update on Inca--looking forward to seeing her at the Pignic!

pinta

Post   » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:30 pm

You shouldn'r need sedation for a FNA unless she goes beyond nuts during injections. Needle in, needle out.

Yeah, time to try the heart meds. Your vet can't have issues of trying meds as a means of diagnosis since the precedent has been set with the tapazole.

Tracy

Post   » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:58 pm

Time for another update:

Last weekend vet aspirated Inca's neck lump. Seemed to go well, yet while in the hospital Inca developed "grunting" breathing plus tachycardia (fast heart). Vet's only thought was that if the lump is her thyroid (or a thyroid tumor), we may have caused a mini thyroid storm with the needle, causing her heart to speed up and, perhaps as a result, fluid affecting her breathing. I asked for lasix, in an effort to help Inca's breathing, and the audible breathing stopped after 2 days at home -- whether from lasix or resolving on its own. Interestingly enough, after Inca's last hospital visit, something similar happened, where Inca came home with noisy breathing that resolved after 2 days. I dunno -- maybe something in the hospital ward causes it...some kind of "kennel cough"?

Anyway, lab results said lump is a cyst, not her thyroid. Likely benign, though biopsy would be needed to tell. I've decided to just monitor the lump, due to Inca's age and the setbacks she's had (for whatever reason) at the vet. But meanwhile, now seems we are not dealing with hyperthyroid as we assumed. Her T4s were OK, tapazole doesn't seem to be helping, and now we know the lump is not her thyroid. The hospital's "Thyroid Guru" (cat endocrinologist) suggested we cut the tapazole dose in half to see if Inca declines; that would show it may be helping.

After that, I want to shift to Plan B, which is heart meds. My vet is not quite on board yet doesn't have other suggestions so may go along with it.

Inca has been holding her weight around 650-675g (her lowest was 600g), with supplemental feedings from me (mostly baby food mixed with Critical Care). Doesn't feel quite as boney as she did. And, most importantly, she's in good spirits and acts normally. I'm thankful she's not uncomfortable or suffering.

We skipped the Boston Pignic last weekend (when her breathing was abnormal), but I'm hoping to bring Inca and her sisters to the Blessing of the Animals (outdoors) next Sunday...if our weather cooperates Hey, some Divine Intervention doesn't hurt, right?!

Will post again if Inca improves or declines. Thanks for your support!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:10 pm

I remember something about inhalant anesthetics causing breathing problems for some animals.

It is encouraging to hear she is in good spirits! I hope she continues to do okay.

Tracy

Post   » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:24 pm

Well, that might explain Inca's problems after last visit (when she was anesthetized for blood draw), but this last time she got fine needle aspirate without any anesthesia. I wonder about the cubbies/kennels and maybe whatever cleaning product used. Or maybe it's just a stress thing. We've rarely been able to figure out anything with Inca, so this is pretty much par for the course!