Cage odors?

moodysmom

Post   » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:19 pm

I am washing toweling daily to keep my guys clean. It only takes a load - on sanitary. This is washed at 185 degrees F for over an hour, followed by a hot dryer. Neither lice nor bacteria is likely to survive.

Linens and things sells a 40 inch wide "bath sheet" towels that I am making pads from. I can double pad (6 layers) with two towels. With coupons and sales, I can get two towels for under $25.

I wouldn't use polyester fleece after our vet's warnings. He has a big practice for exotics and sees lots of cavies, rabbits, pocket pets, ferrets, as well as being the vet of choice for our areas wildlife rescues.

I had been using fleece with towels underneath (moody has problems with dust). I was just making a suggestion of creating a quilt with polyester INSIDE so that there would be a water barrier if you feel you need polyester. Hay also makes a good water barrier over toweling. I live in the woods, so shaking out the towels is not an issue here. It goes right into the compost pile for next years fertilizer.

rshevin

Post   » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:19 pm

Has anyone on this board ever head of this happening? It just seems like such a stretch. I can't fathom how this "quit" you describe will be anything but sopping wet. The polyester inside totally defeats the purpose.

Alibabble

Post   » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:59 am

I'm confused too. My fleece doesn't fray, even at the ends. There are no stray fibers poking out to wrap around a toe. I would think towels would be much more dangerous in this regard.

I find that my pigs have always loved to lay in one spot. So, if they burrowed under to the towels this resulted in a wet and smelly pig. Same thing with anywhere that hay may land if I am not hyper vigilant. With fleece the urine was wicked away so I don't tend to have sodden pigs.

moodysmom

Post   » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:28 pm

I don't actually make a quilt - it was a suggestion if you wanted the wicking property of polyester without the risk of polyester fiber wrapping around a toe. Organic fibers like cotton or wool are thicker with less tensile strength than polyester and thus are easier to see and remove. Obviously wool is not an option because it is difficult to clean and sanitize, so cotton toweling is recommended. Apparently our vet has seen problems with ingested and wrapped polyester fibers repeatedly.

As for sodden pigs, frequent cleanings prevent toweling from getting overly wet. Then again, my pigs don't burrow except under fresh hay.

rshevin

Post   » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:24 pm

What you don't understand is polyester doesn't wick like you're describing. It has to be on top or the whole thing won't work. You'd have to clean the cage twice a day to keep it dry! I know because I've bedded on just towels in quarentine situations. It's disgusting.

Alibabble

Post   » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:15 pm

Clearly your pigs pee less than mine. I've come home to a damp and smelly pig after a few hours worth of time on towels. Sometime during the day he burrowed under the fleece and sat on the towels soaking them all the way through.

cavyluv2

Post   » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:31 am

What kind of fleece are you supposed to use? 100% polyester fleece? Fleece blanket? I'm a bit confuzzled. And new to this. Also, what can you use under it if you can't use towels or other washable fabrics? Would a thick layer of newspaper be OK?

Suisan

Post   » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:09 am

Fleece fabric from the fabric store. Fleece blankets from the thrift store.

Of course you use washable fabrics underneath -- that's the point. Towels (a bunch of layers) underneath. No newspaper -- it smells when wet.