Baxter's med thread

Seffy

Post   » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:42 pm

I think the redness on the shaved area could even be a bit of razor burn from when they clipped him.

zazzified

Post   » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:47 pm

Yeah, that is pretty much my thought as well.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:11 pm

If you get a super close great big pic with even more detail, send it over and I'll see if I can crop a really good closeup out of it.

zazzified

Post   » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:40 pm

Ok, thanks Lynx.

Also, the vet (same one who thought the grease gland was a puncture wound) said that some of Baxter's molars were getting "pointy" and that he'd need them trimmed soon. Is that a common problem with guinea pigs? I've never heard molars that needed to be trimmed being described as "pointy" (vs. "overgrown") and since I'm already questioning the competency of the vet... Just wondering whether overgrown molars are typically pointy at all.

I plan to have my normal vet do Baxter's check up in a week and I'll certainly have her examine his teeth at that point as well for another opinion. I wouldn't let anyone but her trim his teeth anyway.

zazzified

Post   » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:01 pm

Forgot that I have another question. I assume it's too soon to see major improvement, as he's only had three rounds of drops so far (not even 24 hours worth). They want to see him in a week to recheck and make sure he's responding to meds. Would three days or so be a reasonable time frame to expect improvement? I do notice that directly following his drops, it looks less painful.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:25 pm

1. Pointy is one kind of molar problem, so that's a legitimate diagnosis ... if it's right. Have your good teeth vet confirm, but "points" on the molars can indicate uneven wear. It's a type of overgrowth.

2. Eye injuries take a very very long time to heal. They can actually sometimes look worse before they look better. You should see a change in a day or two ... now whether that change looks better or worse, depends on his particular injury.

Less painful is the most important part.

zazzified

Post   » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:31 pm

Thanks, I'll definitely have his teeth checked in a week when he gets his eye looked at again. Since he's not currently experiencing trouble eating, I don't think it's in his best interest to put him through trimming while we're trying to get his eye under control.

I'm glad you mentioned that it could look worse first, so that I'll be prepared in case that happens. Thankfully for right now it does just generally look less painful and like I said, not weepy.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:58 pm

Read over all the teeth pages. Pointy teeth parts injure the side of the mouth or the tongue. If that's not the case, it may be the normal configuration.

www.guinealynx.info/.html

The malocclusion page gives good tips for what you would be seeing if there were teeth issues.

zazzified

Post   » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:29 am

Thanks, Lynx.

I took some pictures of his eye today, mostly so that I can help keep track of progress. I thought they could also be useful to others in the future, perhaps, so I'm posting them here as well. They didn't come out as nicely as I'd like, but I wasn't willing to use a flash on that eye. Tomorrow when I'm home all day I might be able to catch some better lighting.

I think his eye is looking better today. Swelling was down a little this morning.

Overhead view (right eye is injured eye):

Side view:

These were taken in between drops, so the moisture you see is from that. The fur under his eye is a little damp for the same reason.

I'm going to try to take a better macro shot of the eye tomorrow, because with the stuff reflecting in it it's hard to see the surface. He has a linear ulcer across the bottom of his eye.

zazzified

Post   » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:10 pm

His eye is looking a little better tonight compared to this morning. Hopefully that continues to be the case.

Tracis
Let Sleeping Pigs Lie

Post   » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:36 am

I'm sending good thoughts for Baxter! I hope his eye continues to improve.

zazzified

Post   » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:04 pm

No real improvement this weekend, but not any worse either. Normal? Still not weepy now that he's on the meds, which is good. Based on what Talishan said about them taking a long time to heal it seems like it's normal, but I wanted to check.