A stone in the ureter , can anyone help

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:19 pm

SammiD, please read this post:
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... 711#826711
If you take the time to use proper capitalization and punctuation, it makes posts so much more readable. And be sure to capitalize your I's when you are referring to yourself.
Thanks!

SammiD

Post   » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:35 pm

Sorry lynx but I am still confused on whether I can post details of a vets on a post. I know that this site is to offer advice and give guidance, but I thought I would be helping if the thread opener needed to speak to a cavy vet and that I could give the information then they would be able to seek help and guidance needed for their guinea pig to get better.

Thanks, maybe Im a little confused, sorry.

TX Rustlers

Post   » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:34 pm

That looks like multiple stones in the ureters, if it is as it looks I would be 100% against surgery

We have used Urocrit / polycitra apparently successfully in one piggy with bladder sludge not tried it is a stones piggy - although I have no evidence to support the use of it and it would certainly not hurt

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:11 pm

SammiD, you are welcome to let people know about good vets in the UK. Sorry I didn't answer your question (I get sidetracked sometimes). We have listings here, but not lots of them:

https://www.guinealynx.info/cabinet/inde ... ns_England

People are always happy to have a referral to a good vet so you can share yours here or there if you wish.

gizzy

Post   » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:46 pm

thanks SammiD, could you pm me the adress .

yes Lynx please do add this xray permanently all piggy knolage is usfull

gizzy

Post   » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:24 pm

Hi tx rustelers
I was reading the article by Becky that referred to polycitra, and I was wondering if it may possibly help Jack , as there seam few other options open to the poor lad .

What dosage would be required for a 850g pig ?

Also what dose urocrit ? Should urine ph be tested first to see if necessary ?

TX Rustlers

Post   » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:22 pm

I don't have the exact mg / ml and dose, maybe someone else can help
The directions I have on the last label are:
12 tablets in 40cc of syrup with orange
Urocit-K 1080

What I don't know is the tablet strength - does the 1080 signify something?

The dose would be 0.43cc every 12 hours with the above compound

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:58 pm

Tx Rustlers, the 1080 is the number of milligrams of potassium citrate per tablet.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:23 pm

1080 mg/tablet x 12 tablets = 12,960 mg
12,960 mg/40 mL syrup with orange = 324 mg/mL of suspension

324 mg/mL of suspension x 0.43 cc = 139.32 (say 140 mg) given to the guinea pig every 12 hours.

TX Rustlers, how heavy was your pig?

Anyone, feel free to doublecheck my math also.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:21 am

That image is very similar to Zachary's condition.

I'd want to check the urine pH before using a urine alkalinizer. There is still a lot of debate as to whether or not Polycitra has any value in the treatment of stones, and in some cases could be contraindicated. Current research is looking at urine acidifers instead. Your friend should discuss with her vet before proceeding either way.

My only advice would be to discuss very aggressive fluid therapy, and pain management if needed. Be very careful about the use of NSAIDs such as Metcam (Meloxicam) if the pig is showing any signs of dehydration.

TX Rustlers

Post   » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:09 am

Around 1000g and the dose was .5cc

I would personally use metacam, I think concern about kidney damage is a moot point

SammiD

Post   » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:33 am

Gizzy I have sent you the information about the vets that I go to with my Guinea pigs via personal email, but I will post them here too just incase.

Bridges Veterinary Surgery
at Pugh's Garden Centre
Ty Nant Rd
Morganstown
Radyr
Cardiff
South Glamorgan
CF15 8LB
029 2084 2440

The vet who is the cavy vet is Mark Bridges.

Hope that he gets better soon.