It all started with Gordy...

Wle312
Guinea Supporter '11

Post   » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:56 pm

More story? :)

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:16 pm

He is a stunner, lookit his creamy color and pudgy face. :)

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:25 pm

I’m back, *waves*. It’s been a hectic couple of weeks with introductions with my new guinea guy, but I’ll get to that eventually.

Now, where was I... oh, yes, beautiful Gordy.

That episode with Buster, the rabbit, biting his ear was really stressful, and luckily life would be a lot plainer sailing for Gordy after that. As you can see from the second photo above, the bite wasn’t that bad (it was his left ear) but it bled so much. He recovered really quickly, and we got back to our normal routine of hanging out together as much as possible.

I had Gordy through my teenage years, and as you can imagine life wasn’t easy being a teenager. But, Gordy was my rock all of the way through, my squishy, furry, potato shaped rock. He listened to all of my whinges, and snuggled closer when I was upset. I’ll always appreciate the support he gave me.

1999 was quite a trying year for me, it was the year I had to chose between going to university, and getting a job, but it was also the year that we lost Fawn, to cancer. We knew the time would arrive at some point, but we didn’t think it would be so soon. It was a very hard time, and as always Gordy was my shining star, happy to be cuddled and snuggled (payment accepted in grass).

After Fawn had left us we decided to start looking into giving a new dog a home, and we found this lovely young lady at the Blue Cross:

Her name is Jessie, and she’s a cross between a Springer Spaniel and a Border Collie.

We were very wary about her introductions to Gordy, as we didn’t think we’d find a dog as tolerant as Fawn. Gordy had to be on my knee when she was around, and he had to be in his run in the garden when she was out. But, it all went beautifully. They got on perfectly, if anything she was a little frightened of him and would move away if he came near.

Of course, we always made sure they were never alone. You can never trust dogs 100% with little animals.

Time went on, and I had taken the ‘Go to University’ option. I chose the local university as I knew I wouldn’t be able to find a dorm that would take in a guinea pig. During my time at university I entered my first proper relationship, and also took on a few part time jobs. So, my time at home was getting less. I didn’t think this was fair on Gordy, and started the talks with the parents about getting another guinea pig.

I’ll get to their stories shortly, but unfortunately the introductions didn’t go well, and Gordy remained a long pig for the rest of his years. I did have a second cage for him at my ex-boyfriends house, so he came to stay with me, when I was at his house.

Here are the last three photos’ I have of Gordy. They were taking in his later years, I can tell by the way his dewlap is more saggy than chubby. He’d been trundling around the kitchen floor, looking for his beloved grass.

At the end of 2001 Gordy started having a few problems with walking around. He could walk fine, but he was started to sit in one place more often and end up having to have a tum and bum wash. He still ate with gusto so the vet said it was ‘old age’, as he was now 5.

He still enjoyed his wander around the kitchen, albeit a little slower, and his snuggles on my lap.

Gordy crossed the rainbow bridge on the 26th January 2002. I think he may have known it was his time to leave, as he put up quite a fight when we were putting him to bed on the 25th. He was a very wiggly pig when I tried to pick him up from my mother’s lap, and he also jumped straight back out of his cage when I put him in.

I was at work on the 26th, and I can remember the phone call from my mother vividly. She was sobbing her heart out. She still says to this day that Gordy will be her favourite. He has such a big personality, always chuttering around the floor, begging for food, coming to you when you called his name like a little dog.

When I think of Gordy I think of his little blonde hiney disappearing through that fence, and also the way his little head would perk up when you shouted ‘Gordy, Come here’ and he would come dashing over. Such a sweet little guy.

It’s been 9 years since he left, but I’ll never forget my first love!

Sidera17

Post   » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:33 pm

Oh, I am in love with Gordy too!

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:37 pm

He was an amazxingly beautiful boy! RIP Gordy! You'll always be in your mom's heart!

Wle312
Guinea Supporter '11

Post   » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:20 am

Aw, I cried a little when I read the bit about your mum sobbing down the phone! :( What a lovely little piggy Gordy was!!

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:51 am

He was awesome!!

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:58 am

,..."It’s been 9 years since he left, but I’ll never forget my first love!"...
Indeed, first loves have such a special place in our hearts, which only long only grows stringer through time and space...

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:19 pm

I couldn't have said it better myself cutemomomi!

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:34 pm

Lesson No 2 (Revisited) : Don’t listen to breeders, they don’t know best!

When Gordy became a lone piggy I thought that getting him a friend would be a great idea. I saved up for a bigger hutch for them, a roomy (so I thought at the time) two story hutch.
On a cold January morning in 2001, my parents, sister and I packed up in the car and trundled off to the breeder, thankfully for the last time!

With a bit or persuasion from the breeder, who obviously had £’s on her mind, and not the guineas welfare I came away with 4 guinea pigs. Yep, 4, in that one hutch.

As you already know from Gordy’s story their living didn’t go too well, so I’ll skip the sad stories if that’s okay? I would still like to introduce them all and give you a little history into all of their wonderful, different personalities.

Here’s the few photo’s I have of them all together, taken after I just got them. Their names were Gip, Tyson, Rodney and Magpie. 10 points to whoever can work out who’s who!

Jaycey
Supporter in 2014

Post   » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:50 pm

While you're working out who's who, I thought I'd put in a little intermission and introduce the new lady who wandered into my life in 1999.

After we lost Fawn to cancer we decided to get a new dog, and found this lady in Blue Cross rescue centre. She was approx 18 months old, and had been put up for adoption with her identical brother, Spot, as they were unwanted farm dogs.

I remember seeing her at the centre, running from one side of the enclosure to the other, bouncing up the walls and barking. She seemed a bit wild. But, as soon as she came out she was a totally different dog.

After we passed the home check we went to pick her up, and she did a little waggly dance for us, and peed on the rescue centres floor! She was so excited she slept most of the way home in the car.

This picture was taken about 5 years ago on a walkies. She had alot more fur on her ears then, and a lot blacker face (she's an old white face now)

TexCavy

Post   » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:40 pm

My Guesses ---

But I bet I am wrong about Magpie most likely.