Does cranberry juice actually help with bladder stones/UTI?

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:56 am

I give mine some form of cranberry almost daily, but it is a fruit so I use it sparingly. When I give the juice it is diluted with water and I give only 1 cc or so. Elwood gorged himself on it once and was not as fond of it after that. Edgar develops a rash if he eats/drinks too much cranberry.

Stone pigs are those who have been diagnosed with stones by x-ray. The two in my avatar have both had bladder stone surgeries in the past. Which is why I give them cranberries in an effort to keep them from getting any more UTIs which can possibly contribute to more stones.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:45 am

I use it because of MS bladder issues. Since I started with cranberry, no more UTI's in almost two years and before that, I lost count over all those years. It helps when there is a UTI too, as it alters the acidity in the bladder, so the bacteria will have a very hard time to reproduce. It doesn't cure it, but even having a UTI, it's not too late to start taking it.

serelixyue

Post   » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:06 pm

thank you pinkrufus (I get you mixed up with skinnypigs, haha) and pigjes.

So now I feed them about 5 cc of cranberry juice MIXED IN with critical care, since they don't like it just the juice alone.

Although they are all healthy pigs, it's okay to feed cirtical care, right? I jsut need them to have some roughage to chew on along with the cranberry juice.

jedifreac

Post   » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:22 pm

Sometimes it's a good idea to feed critical care to healthy pigs just so they are familiar with it and won't refuse it when they really need it.