Clash of the Titans--or, What have I gotten myself into!?

Crrrystal

Post   » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:11 am

Thanks, pigjes!

And thanks to everyone for the great advice, too!

My pesky boypigs seem to have calmed down a bit for the moment. Over the last couple days, I've only heard one teeth-chatter and haven't seen any chasing or grumpiness. Maybe they know I haven't felt very good, so they're toning down their behavior? Crazy thing is they've been COMPLETELY TRASHING their cage. Every day. I pretty much gave up on containing hay this week and have just been tossing it in wherever... which seems to make them happy. However, they will be getting hay hammocks as soon as possible, and they WILL use them correctly.

On the other hand, the girls have been grumpier and noisier over the last couple days. Nothing major, just little arguments here and there. I'm sure this is pretty normal for a "bonded" pair, right?

I started weighing daily this week because I was doubting my baselines and second-guessing my assumption that weights have been stable. My baselines are fine and they have been stable. I think I might keep it up, though, because it seems like a fine way to make sure everyone gets at least some cuddles every day.

I was wandering Petco the other day after greeting the critters and picking up a new water bottle and I found the cutest puppy hair clips. I get so excited about themed photo shoots and would probably spend all my money on props and accessories. I try to not pick up extras in those horrid places, but I couldn't live without these.

So, I present to you Queen Coco, ruler of Pigania:
(Please ignore the pasty white, hairy legs that I neither claim nor deny belong to me. Also ignore the fuzziness of the picture. Focus only on the crown.)

(I just noticed 1/3 of my dad's doggy in the background. He always likes to snort around when I have a baby out. He lets my dad pet and hold them, too, which is very unlike his behavior with the other dog and cats. I think he must like them.)

Crrrystal

Post   » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:54 am

It's 5:45am here.

I typically do suppers at night, but fell asleep early last night (due to long work hours and an already mucked up sleep clock), so supper is becoming breakfast. I think there was another time that happened this week, too.

There are pellets from yesterday and loads of hay and plenty of water.

But that simply isn't good enough. I woke up at about 5 (not intentionally). This is what happened.
Me: Oh, crap! Sorry babies, I'll get your supper when I really get up. Mommy is much too tired right now.
Coco: WHEEEK
Me: Stop. One hour. I'll get it in one hour.
Coco: WHEEK
Zeus: SWHEEEEK
Apollo: *rattles water bottle*
Me: GUYS! You won't starve, I promise! ONE HOUR!
Coco: WHEEEEEEEEAAAAEEEEEKKK!!
Zeus: WWWWWWHHHEEEEEEKK! WHEEEEEEK!
Apollo: Squeak? *rattles water bottle*
Cali: What is going on and why did you wake me up? Oh, mom's late with food? WHEEEEEEEK! WHEEEEEEK! WHEEEEK!

That has now been going on for 49 minutes. Apparently my pigs 1) have no sense of what an "hour" is, and 2) are cruel, heartless jerks who don't care if mommy gets enough sleep.

On the plus side, I don't think I'll have to worry about waking up on time today!

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:24 am

You shoulda fed them. Then you could have dozed back off to that amazingly soothing "chchchchchchchchch" noise they make while eating. :)

Sidera17

Post   » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:03 pm

I think you were doomed as soon as you answered them. XD Then they knew you were awake, and that was it! Food now!

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:19 pm

Alden, I love that sound. I always give Mouse his veggies right before I sleep so I can hear him outside my door munching :)

Crrrystal

Post   » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:20 am

I should have... but I don't want them to think they run my life. I mean, they do--but they don't know it yet!

I need to take more pictures. I think I might invest in a new camera sometime very soon. My phone is slow and my camera is, well, crap. Any suggestions for a high-quality budget camera?

Either way, I'll be doing a Valentine's Day shoot with them this weekend. Should be fun! I wish I could trust them enough to have a "date" scene, but I think having hands separating them would probably ruin the mood. I did get valentines for them to send to each other... I hope they appreciate it.

Crrrystal

Post   » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:06 pm

I've had this horrible feeling that something bad was going to happen today. I figured I'd come home and find somebody knocking on death's door.

That didn't happen.

But something did happen.

You probably won't be able to guess because I no good at pitchurs, but there is definitely something wrong here. There are supposed to be two boys on this pink fleece, and I only count one.

My first thought was that somebody (Zeus) escaped and snuck in with the girls. Then I remembered that he would have to be either a mountain goat or an Olympic high jumper to get up to the girls (which is why the boys are perma-bottoms now).

So I checked every grid for damage and possible escape routes. There were none.

Guess where he is? Here's a hint.

He managed to pull the fleece down on the right end of the cage. I guess my crazy urge to buy more binder clips the other day wasn't so crazy after all. Take that, Mommy!

After I recovered from my heart attack, I realized that it wasn't so horrible. His scampering around did manage to mess up the water bottle so the nozzle was resting on the outside of the coroplast... which drained it completely and left a wet spot on my carpet.

Since my phone's battery was gone and I wanted pictures right away, I dug out my camera for those. Then I found the settings and realized that I had it on a very low resolution... so I upped it. Maybe now I can take nicer pictures maybe?

^ Here is my GOOD boy wondering why, oh why, hasn't mommy fed me yet. Well, Apollo, YOU will get an extra piece of cilantro tonight because YOU were a good boy and stayed ABOVE the fleece.

^ And here is the troublemaker.

I stuck my nose (not pictured) through the grids and got kisses from Cali. I couldn't take a picture, though, so I tried again with my finger. Nope, I got nibbles, not kisses.

And I just happened to have pro timing on this one.

AND no sooner did I joke about mountain goat-pigs...

Literally. As I was typing "mountain goat" Cali jumped on top of that house. Which shifted it to be half off the pad, which is why it's leaning.

I better go feed these scamps. Now that I figured my camera out (after... 4? years...) I'll probably keep taking pictures tonight. So watch out, there's more to come!

Just noticed the colors are off. My hay isn't that yellow, and the brown beans are, um, browner. Blame poor lighting and... whatever else could cause it.

tashab

Post   » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:10 pm

Every time I read stories like this about naughty boys (or the Boys Behaving Badly thread) I'm greatful for my girls. I'm glad he didn't escape on you though!

The Canon Powershot series is a good, basic digital camera. I've found it hard to really screw up photos with mine, and I think a couple other GL members use them too.

Crrrystal

Post   » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:57 am

Oh my goodness, I am glad, too!

It's funny how rotten Zeus is, especially compared to the Princesses. Boars Behaving Badly scares me.

I just found this picture on the Book.
Apollo is the one sticking out, and Zeus is in the middle of the set of three. Crazy how much they've grown! If memory works, the mostly white one is now Bacon and the mostly-black is Skunky (aptly named by a seven-year-old). Both Bacon and Skunky have rosettes on their fur-heads, as do furmom and furdad (Hester and Brady from earlier posts). Apollo and Zeus do not.

Ah, nostalgia!

Crrrystal

Post   » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:06 am

SO! I get home from work, make salads, the usual. Then I go upstairs and something is wrong. Again.

Bad little boy 1.

Bad little boy 2.

Solution: 24 shiny new binder clips, just purchased today. No, I'm not a psychic (as far as I know), I just have come to value the utility of this common paper-holding apparatus. Also, they're cheap as heck and I wanted to have spares just for occasions such as this.

Are they rebelling because I took out the loft? That's my take. They'll get it back as soon as I get a promise that they won't make deposits under it. It's tough to clean under there. In the meantime, I'll binder-clip some corner tents up and they can deal with it.

Sidera17

Post   » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:08 am

It could be because they have nothing to hide under. See if you can drape a cloth over the edge.

Crrrystal

Post   » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:29 am

That's the plan. They liked draped things when they were smaller, but more recent attempts led to them pulling the drapes off the wall, laying on top of them, or bickering.