Eat Sleep Love: The Cavy Way

akintolife

Post   » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:04 pm

They are gorgeous piggies! What a cliffhanger to leave on, though! I hope there is happy next instalment.

eschimpf
SweetPea

Post   » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:43 pm

Oh your so good at giving cliff hangers. I can't wait for the next post.

GP_mum
Supporter in '13

Post   » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:02 pm

Lily has the looks to go with her diva nature, ha ha. Can't wait to read what happened next.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:54 pm

All three of your pigs are adorable. Just wondering here, since Lily keeps bumping into things are you sure her eyesight is ok?

Jorle

Post   » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:04 pm

Haha sorry for leaving the story hanging in suspense! I promise it will only be like this until I bring it up to current date.

Bugs Mom, you kind of brought up something that I've dismissed before. The original vet who saw Lily gave her a checkup when I got her and told me she was healthy. That same vet was wrong before about something else. I've since changed vets but have not brought Lily back for a re-check on her eyesight. I've since cut her front bangs shorter because it was covering her face and I think it had something to do with it. It helped alot, however she still runs into the piggies a lot and they dont like it very much! think I will bring her in for another Checkup with my current vet. I'm really glad you reminded me because for the longest time I just kinda settled for the first answer even though I had my doubts.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:31 am

Oh, such gorgeous piggies!!! Good luck at the vet visit Lily!

Jorle

Post   » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:57 pm

October 12, 2011. I remember this day like it was yesterday. I woke up extra early that day because we were having guests over and I wanted to clean up the cage before our friends arrived. The piggies were already wheeking for their breakfast, they are always so punctual when it comes to feeding time. I hand feed all my piggies breakfast, it is one of my favourite part of the day. As I try to keep up with their demand, (and by demand I mean both feet over the fence, practically jumping out of the cage)
I noticed that one of the cuddle cups had blood stains. I immediately thought someone had a bladder infection… I took the cuddle cup out from its corner to further inspect it and when I did I almost jumped at what I found behind the cuddle cup.
Sitting in the darkest corner of the cage, under the ramp was a black furball! I was in disbelief! To be honest, the first thing I thought of was “oh my god, did a mouse get into the cage?!?” Being an inexperienced first time owner, I was in a total panic. I couldn’t see it clearly it was so dark and it wasn’t even moving so I was afraid of what it could’ve been. I ran to the other room and got Darren. He lifted the ramp and we found this little guy.

Now we know, SOMEONE had a baby last night… but who? You’ve all seen pictures of my girls, you can understand why I had to check each of them to find out who the mother was. This baby made no sense to me. I had taken each of them to the vet when I got them and the Dr. never even mentioned pregnancy to me! I felt totally betrayed. I found out that Lily was the mother and everything started to make sense… the laziness, hating to be picked up, her change in appetite, her constant thirst and in the last week or so she was doing –this- a lot.
When I realized all this, I felt terrible… I did not provide Lily with the proper care that I should’ve. I was angry at my vet for not being able to tell me this but more so I was upset with myself. Lily was my responsibility and I felt like I had failed her. I separated Lily and her baby from Nana and Poppy just to make sure they got the proper nutrition and care they needed. That's when I got all these sweet mommy's-little-boy pictures! For the next few days I tried to find a new vet. I contacted a local guinea pig rescue hoping to get a recommendation.
At our new vet, we found out that Lily was pregnant for almost 90 days before giving birth, which means the previous owners must’ve bought her while she was pregnant already and then sold her to me. I was told that we were extremely lucky to have had a successful birth because the baby was very big and for a first time mom Lily did an amazing job!
To this day I am so proud of my Lily, despite my failure to provide her with the care she needed she still brought a healthy boar to our life.
We named him Guapo, for “the handsome one” in Spanish.
How Guapo went from /\ to \/ is is another story...

For the next 3 weeks the 4 piggies lived in the same cage together. It was happiest I've ever seen Guapo. I still look at these pictures from time to time because since separating him, he has never been the same.

Sorry for the late update, I was swamped with work (rrsp contribution time!) and didn't get a chance to update. Lily's appt with the vet went well, no problems with her eye sight!(thank goodness) I was so afraid that I had failed her again... We did find a small lump on Nana's neck. We are going to monitor its size and bring her in 3 weeks from now.

eschimpf
SweetPea

Post   » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:07 pm

Guapo you are such a cutie, I'm in love!

iastate09
Supporter in '15

Post   » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:10 pm

Ooooo I lurve Guapo! So handsome!!! Squee! to his little black feetsies!

Brainerror

Post   » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:45 pm

guapo, I'm in love..

GP_mum
Supporter in '13

Post   » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:32 pm

Lovely to read an update and I agree, Guapo is a heart breaker. He's so cute. Glad that Lily's pregnancy went well. Can't wait to read what happened next and what piggy configuration you ended up with.

Bugs Mom

Post   » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:12 pm

Guapo is simply adorable! Poor baby. Will you get him a friend?