My Antithesis

AldenM1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:32 pm

that really is a masterful use of brick-space.

Piggywig

Post   » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:27 pm

I'm in love with your piggies, if you didn't know! They're adorable!

Can never see enough photos of them. These are great.

GP_mum
Supporter in '13

Post   » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:42 pm

I love how colour coordinated their cage is. The blue really sets off their fur colouring nicely. They are gorgeous boars.

Topaz

Post   » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:32 pm

They really are such handsome boys! I love how they're just chillin' in that last picture.

ilumiari

Post   » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:19 am

There are actually two bricks in the cage most of the time, often I walk into the living room to find them flopped upon a brick each.

GP_mum - The colour co-ordination isn't intentional! I just liked the pirate fabric and knew I needed to make something with it, and my boyfriend chose the fleece. Now that you mention it, it does match rather well.

I've slowly started sorting my possessions into "take", "sell", "give away" and "discard" categories. So many things to replace! I'm sobbing over the fact that I can't take the vast majority of my electric appliances, especially my sewing machine and overlocker.

ShadowAngel

Post   » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:16 am

For your sewing machine and overlocker, if the reason you can't bring them is the voltage, you can get a step-up/down 1000W transformer for about 60 USD on Amazon.

link to transformer on amazon

Check the wattage requirement on your machines but 1000W is often enough. There is also a 2000W version for just slightly more (around 90$).

We just moved in the other direction: Canada (110V) to France (220V) which is why I thought of this. We got rid of most of the everyday appliances because of the voltage issue but for some that I really cared about (my grandmother's 1931 Singer), we brought them along and will use a transformer.

Good luck with the move!

ilumiari

Post   » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:47 am

I've been thinking about getting a transformer for the overlocker, but I don't think my sewing machine would survive the journey (it's a circa 1999 Brother embroidery machine, expensive and delicate). There are so many little tedious appliances - iron, kettle, electric mixers, vacuum, drill, slow cooker, lamps. They're not worth lugging halfway across the world, but it'll be expensive to replace them all. I'm just glad my camera and laptop are content with 110V.

I'm hoping to use this "new start" to prove to myself that I can live with less, but I'm so fond of material possessions! It'll be nice to have furniture that wasn't picked up off a verge.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:42 am

Hahahah, I nearly choked from laughing, those grins are awesome!!

ilumiari

Post   » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:40 am

We've had a number of miserably hot days recently- 38 yesterday and today, it'll probably reach 40 tomorrow. This is not March weather! The weather in Seattle is starting to sound really appealing. I should probably start learning how to interpret temperatures in Fahrenheit.

Sidera17

Post   » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:07 pm

When we had a heatwave here, I wrapped frozen Poland Spring bottles in washcloths and put them in Spike's cage. He then became obsessed with the washcloth and after the bottles were gone, we couldn't take it out of his cage!

Hope it cools down there soon!

Wle312
Guinea Supporter '11

Post   » Mon May 28, 2012 4:12 pm

No update on Sooty and Smudge? :) I just love these boys!

ilumiari

Post   » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:02 am

Bad news, I do not think Sooty will be with me much longer. He has been unwell for 3 weeks (when I saw blood splattered over his cage and rushed him to the vet) and hasn't been eating for most of that time. No matter how much money I throw at the vet (over $1000 so far) all the tests suggest he is perfectly healthy and we can not figure out why he won't eat. Sometimes he nibbles at some vegetables, and I've been hand feeding him, but I can't keep up with his weight loss. I've also been giving him metacam twice a day, as well as a liquid vitamin C supplement. I was giving him antibiotics in case he passed a bladder stone, but stopped after a week and a half. The vet tried giving him a vitamin B supplement, but no luck.

At this point I don't really know what to do, but I've been spending heaps of quality time with him and I'm taking it day by day.