The Southern Boars

Piggywig

Post   » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:14 pm

I decided that I love my boys so much, and all their silly business, that I would share them here. I thought I might use photos by way of introduction, although the lengthier introductions will come along over the weeks. These photos were taken this past Sunday, Easter. Because a piggy is the best thing to put in a basket.

There is bonded pair Smokey (who just barely fit), age ~3
basket3 by friend2kitties2011, on Flickr

And newest boy Louie, age ~2
basket2 by friend2kitties2011, on Flickr

And bonded (but still humpy) pair Snickers, who kind of didn't want to cooperate because he doesn't like to sit still, but he did, age 2
basket1 by friend2kitties2011, on Flickr

And MoonPie, who doesn't like to cooperate or sit still at all, and gave me a half a second to get a photo -- age 2
basket4 by friend2kitties2011, on Flickr

-- before he did this, and assorted other basket acrobatics. He looks more ferret than piggy. Silly.
basket5 by friend2kitties2011, on Flickr

So that's a little intro, and a little window into their personalities too.

I wanted to take them outside yesterday for grass, but I was too tired to take piggies to grass, so instead I took the grass into them.

They were delighted because absolutely no work was involved for them whatsoever!

mkkayla
Supporter in '14

Post   » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:31 pm

Can't wait for more stories and pictures!

Piggywig

Post   » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:44 pm

Smokey came to me from a posting here in the Cavy Placement forum. He was treated badly before being rescued. He's a love, still skittish, but coming around more each year. Every night we have our ritual; he gets a small sprig of cilantro before anyone else gets anything else. He waits for it.

He's had three buddies so far, and I don't guess there's anyone he wouldn't make an effort to bond with. Through photos, you can see them. There was the first, his buddy, and the only one who didn't barber at all, sweet little Moose. When Moose passed away, I thought Smokey might mourn himself to death, also.
smokeybigwig by friend2kitties2011, on Flickr

Fortunately, the much-loved, adored (by me and Smokey), minimally barbering Jester came into the picture. When Jester passed away after surgery, Smokey mourned again. We both did.
smokeandjes by friend2kitties2011, on Flickr
fourboyslawn by friend2kitties2011, on Flickr

Then we found Louie through Craigslist. Louie is a good buddy. But Louie barbers. A lot. I'm very glad Smokey has long hair or he might not have any!
outdoors 034 by friend2kitties2011, on Flickr

All the long locks are gone! Oh well, at least I don't have to give Smokey hair cuts any more! He hated those. Smokey is terribly gracious, but can give some massive stink-eye. Just love him so.

GP_mum
Supporter in '13

Post   » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:32 pm

All your boars are gorgeous. Smokey still looks great with his shorter fur.

Piggywig

Post   » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:24 am

I think he looks cute, too, it's just such a change! I'll refer to it as his summer cut. He lost some more hair last night, thanks to Louie, AGAIN.

Of course, I can't be truly sure of Louie's age, since he is a Craigslist piggie, but I'm guessing that since the man said he was two, that that meant they had had him for two years. But this week he has discovered his hormones.

Last night I found a circle of semi-fresh boar glue on Smokey's rear the size of a quarter, eewww. I cut it out of his hair before it became a plaque. Smokey was peeved at me, but I couldn't help it!

Then when I put him back, he actually mounted Louie, which was like seeing a cruise ship mount a rowboat! I don't know much about the different breeds, but Smokey is not only heavy, but long and muscular. There was a lot of squeaky fussing as I was trying to go to sleep last night, but nothing serious.

Then those two initially refused their salad because there wasn't any cilantro to go on top... they both looked at it and then came running up to me for the actual dinner. Oof! Spoiled! "Without our appetizer, we don't want our dinner, Mom." MoonPie and Snickers had no complaints.

Bytxlaura
Remembering Nemo

Post   » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:39 pm

Aww, Louie sounds like a character! And, of course, they are all gorgeous!

Piggywig

Post   » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:24 am

Thank you! I love my sweet boys. I do miss having one of them being an abby, though. I miss the punk rock rosettes.

Well, I don't know what magical juju went on yesterday while I was at work, but Louie had forgotten all about his hormones by yesterday afternoon and last night. Yessir, food was back to being priority numero uno, and Smokey was back to being just his buddy.

Hello. Feed me.
newface by friend2kitties2011, on Flickr

Snickers and MoonPie had a chasing zoomy party last night and sounded like an entire herd of water buffalo. The bottom of their cage is kind of springy and they love to take advantage of that.

Hopefully today they will get a fresh Bermuda grass graze!

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:04 pm

Awww, you started a thread. :)
I love Smokey's colors, the way the sun hit his face and shows off his golden hair is simply beautiful!

mkkayla
Supporter in '14

Post   » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:23 pm

Such great pictures and stories. I hope Smokey gets to keep some of his hair.

Piggywig

Post   » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:54 am

I had the boys out in pairs last night for cuddles and after the third really-really super close examination, I know now for sure that Louie's eyes are blue! Darker blue, but blue just the same! Kind of awesome, I thought. I've never had a blue eyed piggie before. Always pink or brown.

I didn't get any photos last night because I was too tired but now I have to find a way to photograph blue eyes!

Smokey is so very brave now when he is out with Louie. Perhaps having less hair has emboldened him. At this rate I'll be renaming him Spike soon.

Piggywig

Post   » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:37 pm

So far no luck photographing the blue eye... but... Snickers is completely and TERRIBLY scandalized by MoonPie's butt mullet! Louie's never gotten a hold of this! Ha ha ha!!!

buttmullet by friend2kitties2011, on Flickr

I'm convinced that MoonPie has the shiniest butt on earth.

GP_mum
Supporter in '13

Post   » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:35 am

Ah ha, I think I'll have to wear sun glasses. Lovely butt mullet there on MoonPie.