My Antithesis

GP_mum
Supporter in '13

Post   » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:29 am

So sorry to hear that Sooty hasn't been well. I assume with all that has been spent that xrays and a proper check of his teeth has been done. I must be so stressful and furstrating not knowing what the issue is. However, do keep up with the hand feeding so that at least his gut has food moving through it. I hope you can figure out the issue.

Maybe post in the medical section so others can see if they have suggestions of what might be ailing him. Healing vibes to him.

ilumiari

Post   » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:51 am

Yep, there were 6 x-rays done and his teeth and mouth look great.

GP_mum
Supporter in '13

Post   » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:28 am

I do want to share that about over a year ago one of my sows dropped about 60-70g and the vet couldn't find anything wrong with her, although he refused to do an x-ray as he felt she was overall a good weight (she was down 760g from 823g). I have since switched vets. However, he did recommend a course of probiotics.

The only thing I could tell was it all started from a batch of hay she didn't like, although her daughter was maintaining her weight. I fed her critical care and we did a fecal float with my current vet. The results were negative. In th end, she began to put on weight by increasing her pellets slightly, and increasing the amount of fresh grass she had. I also bought another brand of hay which she approved of. She's now just past 900g.

However, I now have aonther sow who's lost about 35-40g (tiny as she's now 690g) but remains very active and is a super picky eater + dislikes CC (despite the many recipes I have tried to make it more yummy). I have a vet appointment lined up to make sure she has no teeth issues.

Hang in there and continued well wishes for Sooty.
Last edited by GP_mum on Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

MildredM
The-Fairy-in-my-Heart

Post   » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:29 am

I am sorry, it must be terribly frustrating for you not to know what is wrong, and very sad too of course.

Sending helping thoughts x

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:17 am

Blood tests? Anything look abnormal?

I am sorry you and Sooty are going through this. My thoughts are with you.

NoCableisSafe

Post   » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:00 am

I am sorry to hear that Sooty has a mystery illness. I hope that he recovers soon :(

ilumiari

Post   » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:56 am

His blood test showed a white blood cell count on the high side of normal, but everything else was good. I had another vet appointment for tomorrow after work, but I moved it to first thing tomorrow morning.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:09 pm

I am so sorry. I take it besides xrays to check the teeth, they were also done to see if stones were present?

ilumiari

Post   » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:27 pm

Yes, there are two tiny ones (they also showed up when the pigs were xrayed before we moved to the US, so they've been there at least a year). Both vets have said they're too small to cause much concern, we had planned to remove them when his weight stabilized.

I took the afternoon off work to go sit with him in a patch of grass to see the sunshine, it's a beautiful day today.

violagirl3

Post   » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:53 am

ilumiari- When my Bartleby had stones (admittedly they were two large ones), he stopped eating entirely. It could be it has hit the point where the stones are bothering Sooty so much that he feels cruddy all of the time and doesn't want to eat. It took several weeks after surgery and a round of probiotics before Bartleby was feeling well enough to eat fully on his own.

ilumiari

Post   » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:03 am

He didn't make it through the night. I stayed up with him past 1am, then when I woke up his little body was still warm but lifeless. I've dropped him off for a necroscopy.

Crazy4me

Post   » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:10 am

I am so sorry. :(