Know you guinea pig, know your poo

lisam

Post   » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:27 pm

Organic baby carrots are not processed using chlorine, however.

wenton5

Post   » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:40 pm

Ah yes, that is it. Good to know just for future referrence, I just buy the regular size organic carrots but it is nice to know for another reader. Thank you so much! :) L

moonfall

Post   » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:05 pm

I've seen poop a bit like the picture Emily posted, but it looked more broken at the end, like the piggy bit the end off. Don't they sometimes pull it out with their teeth?

I think everything is fine with my girls, by the way. Their freshly-made poops look normal; what I was seeing was probably pieces being broken up or stuck together by trampling and being kicked around. I took the fleece out of the cage and put in paper bedding again, and it eliminated the urine odor. Maybe I need new fleece?

emilyam19

Post   » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:08 am

I know this isn't quite what you're describing but it reminded me of something odd one of my pigs does. She has this strange habit of biting droppings in half and spitting them out. She'll do the regular "tuck and grab" when they're eating their special poops but half the time she breaks them up and spits them out. I'm not sure what to make of it. Maybe she can't tell the difference before grabbing them and decides that one isn't what she wanted. She eats most of them when she does this.

I know all I seem to post are photos of poop but here's an example of what I find (there will be a few of them in a pile):

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:38 am

I added that photo too.

I suspect she is hoping it is one of the special poops (what I have observed is they are greenish and stinky) and when it is evident that it is not, she discards it.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:57 pm

I love the title of this thread - makes me smile every time I see it. I have to remember to not be eating when I check it. : }

moonfall

Post   » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:48 am

Lynx, I think my piggies do that, too. I've definitely seen poop that looks like it was bitten in half. Wonder if it tastes awful and they spit it out?

GP_mum
Supporter in '13

Post   » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:51 am

Just wanted to share my recent/on-going experience with semi-soft poo for 1 (suspected) of my 3 pigs. This has been happening for 2-3 weeks and it's just softer poo which makes the fleece yucky as you can imagine. No obvious change in odour though.

Reading a feedback in the medical threads that for her pigs, the soft poo seemed connected to too much pellets or eating too much at 1 go, I tried giving the girls pellets with more intervals + cutting down a few (6-9) pellets for the suspected pig. I had previously held back on giving them vegetables (type and amount has been the same) but it only helped slighly. Have to say, with the slight drop in pellets and moving the frequency to 3 times at the pellet dish VS 1-2 times has helped quite a bit to firm back up the poos.

moonfall

Post   » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:59 am

I was giving more pellets when I ran out of hay and was worried about the softer poop a few days ago. They are back on more hay/less pellets, and everything looks fine.

Do you have pictures of the "special poops?" I'm not sure I've ever seen green guinea pig poop.

Ibepatience
Supporter in '13

Post   » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:13 am

Do you think it's possible that being nervous could cause diarrhea? I asked the vet and she said no but sometimes vets are more "textbook" than actual experience.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:53 am

I doubt that nervousness causes diarrhea.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:11 pm

My vet said stress would not cause soft poo in piggies & I think that would be similar.