Could this be a teeth problem?

CAT

Post   » Tue Jan 22, 2002 10:29 pm

My three year old boar, Sneakers, has lost a little bit of weight lately. He is acting happy, and eating his pellets and greens, but a few weeks ago he seemed to be making strange motions with his mouth - curling his lips as though something was stuck in his teeth (I poked around but couldn´t see anything). The next day he had stopped doing this and I assumed whatever was stuck had come out. However, now he is losing some weight. I have also noticed that he seems to eat slower than the other two pigs (who are both only a year old).

I will take him to the vet if his weight still goes down but any suggestions on the cause would be appreciated.

CAT

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jan 22, 2002 10:40 pm

If it´s a teeth problem, you might want to reread the info on malocclusion and Pinta´s notes and solution. You can find them on Guinea Lynx (see button above) on the teeth page (info and links to Pinta´s chinsling).

pinta

Post   » Tue Jan 22, 2002 10:44 pm

It does sound like potential teeth problems. The lip curling and acting like something is stuck could be the result of food he´s having difficulty chewing properly. Nigel had much the same symptoms which ended up with a trip to the emergency vet when he started to choke. He worked it out for himself in the waiting room but a visit to the dental vet later that week revealed malocclusion.

I wouldn´t wait for him to lose more weight. If his teeth need filing he will bounce back slower with additional weight loss. Do make sure your vet knows what he´s doing. Do handfeed to keep up his strength and weight.

The Pig, The Vet & Teeth
http://pub10.ezboard.com/fguinealynxfrm ... D=27.topic

This is the dental vet site and there is an Australian vet listed.
http://www.avdonline.org/avdmembers.html
You will have to find out if he knows pig teeth and if he does and isn´t close to you, maybe your vet can consult.

CAT

Post   » Wed Jan 23, 2002 7:06 pm

Thanks Pinta and Lynx,

I think I will take him to the vet for a checkup. I did wonder whether the weight loss was because Boots has become the dominant pig now he has grown up, and although he and Sneakers dont fight any more, Boots does like to chase him away from the food bowl when I put greens down (I have three pellet bowls and bottles so there is always one available). Lately I have been feeding Sneakers separately so that should keep his strength up.

Unfortunately, the dental vet on the website is in Sydney and I am in Adelaide (about 2000 miles away) but my vet is an exotics vet and has been great with other problems I have had.

Thanks again for your advice.

CAT

Evangeline

Post   » Wed Jan 23, 2002 7:24 pm

By the way, CAT, it´s nice to see you here.

CAT

Post   » Mon Jan 28, 2002 11:11 pm

Just thought I´d give you all an update. Sneakers´ trip to the vet revealed that he does have a teeth problem. On Thursday he goes in to be put under anaesthetic so he can have his back teeth ground.

My vet has only done this a few times although he is an exotics vet and is the RSPCA vet. Here in Adelaide there is only one vet dentist and he doesn´t do guinea pigs.

My vet says that here in Australia there is just not the equipment available that vets in the US have, but he will do his best - he says it will depend on the extent of Sneakers´ problem. Keep your fingers crossed for him.

CAT

CAT

Post   » Mon Jan 28, 2002 11:12 pm

By thew way, Evangeline, it´s nice to be here.

LynnK

Post   » Thu Jan 31, 2002 1:13 pm

Yep I think I´m going to put the ching-sling back on amigo he is having trouble with his hard veggies again.

pinta

Post   » Thu Jan 31, 2002 4:51 pm

Might mean his teeth have overgrown. You should have them checked first. The Sling is to maintain his teeth and should be worn every night like a human wears a retainer. If his teeth overgrow too much, the Sling won´t help. It´s meant to force the molars in contact with each other so they grind themselves down naturally. It works best after the teeth have been planed to the correct level.

It can correct minor overgrowth.

CAT

Post   » Mon Feb 04, 2002 9:01 pm

see sad news on Sneakers post in Cavy Chat for update