Pregnant and din't know and now have 3 babies.Please help :(

Kimera

Post   » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:50 pm

Guinea pigs do not have to be starved before surgery, it is enough not to feed them directly before the procedure. Three hours could be a little too long, but I don't think it would harm your piggie.
Enrocin is enrofloxacin, "Baytril" is just one of the names of the drug.
Vitapol doesn't manufacture plain pellets for guinea pigs, all you can buy is a mix. If you decide on Vitapol, better buy Vitapol Premium, which contains pellets and dried vegetables. It is still not the ideal food, and if you can avoid feeding mixes, you should continue doing so.
http://www.karusek.com.pl/produkt.php?prod_id=21749
You don't have to mix Critical Care with anything else than water.
The time your piggie needs to come out of anesthesia may vary, depending on his individual reaction to the drug and his general condition. However, at the moment you get your piggie from the vet, he should be fully awake, warm and in good condition.

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:46 pm

Thank you Kimera for your prompt reply.

Sandy is eating less and slowly and that's why I was concerned that three hours fasting shouldn't be a lot for him.

Electral is a oral dehydration solution and I was planning to mix it with critical care to make it a little tasty as I have heard that not all piggies will eat plain CC. Can I use Electral then?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:41 am

Yes. Mix it with water first, then add that to the Critical Care (i.e., don't put the powder directly into the CC). If he's reluctant to drink plain water after dental, you can offer him Electral by syringe. If he likes it it will help keep him hydrated until he's back to drinking water normally.

A 3-hour fast won't harm your pig. There is the risk of aspiration if they are not fasted at all. This risk is extremely low, and the benefits of not fasting far outweigh that risk, but 3 hours should permit the mouth and throat to clear without starving him or slowing his gut.

Ditto Kimera 100% otherwise.

Be SURE they send you home with pain medication for him!! Dental work can make them uncomfortable post-procedure. Their teeth don't actually hurt, but their mouths are very, VERY small and it's almost impossible to trim molars without getting a tiny nick or two on the gum or cheek pad.

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:35 am

Thank you Talishan.

Update from the vet vist.
Vet checked Sandy's mouth and showed me also directly through the narrow apparatus that his pre-molars have become long and pointy and his incisors are also overgrown. Told us to get an x-ray done of the skull, right and left (lateral) and abdomen (lateral) so as to be sure on Sandy's condition and he will mostly go in for a filling tomorrow. I will send the x-ray pictures to Lynx as I still dont know to add pictures. Lynx, would it be fine?

She gave him an injection of RL- 10ml s/c and Meloxicam- 0.02 mg/kg s/c.

She has asked me not to feed him four hours before the procedure because today even after fasting for two hours,he had food stuck in his mouth. I was worried about three hours and now she tells me to starve him for four hours :( :(
She said she will give him an injection of anaesthesia and use isoflurane if necessary and also give him fluids later. I got tensed immediately on this thought.

She has also asked me to give:
Metrogyl syrup-0.4 ml twice a day for 7 days and;
Limcee tablet- 1/4 th tablet in 0.5 ml water for 10 days.
Sandy finished his first dose of antibiotics and probiotics. I hardly got any antibiotics into him because he spits all of it. I tried almost every technique of hand feeding- towel wrapping, laying against chest, etc. Has anyone tried something else that worked?

Sandy ate few pieces of carrots and coriander since morning and I think I will start with critical care right now only rather than waiting for surgery tomorrow.

Guys, I just need your assuring words that the vet is doing everything correctly and that Sandy is in safe hands. I am very worried.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:09 am

Yes, go ahead and send me the xrays:

Properly administered anesthesia should be safe for a normally healthy pig (no heart issues). In the states, there is monitoring while under anesthesia. It should make trimming the teeth easier (able to do a better job).

Hopefully there will be no complications and your vet is competent.

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:31 am

Thank you sooo much Lynx for the assurance.

The vet said that they will monitor him during anesthesia and if needed will give him Isoflurane gas.

I just searched on the forum and it says that metronidazole is for GI upsets/anti-diarrheal. Should I continue giving him Metrogyl syrup for seven days post surgery?
Is there any other antibiotic given to piggies post trimming of teeth like Baytril or Bactrim?

Limcee tablet (Vitamin C) are orange flavoured and I read oranges are acidic. Should I exchange it for plain tablets if I get?

I have sent the x-ray pictures to Lynx. Please feel free to comment what are your observations on it.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:09 pm

Here are your pics. They are large so I am just adding links:

www.guinealynx.info/pics/PoojaMehta-7.jpg

www.guinealynx.info/pics/PoojaMehta-8.jpg

www.guinealynx.info/pics/PoojaMehta-9.jpg

I will leave answering your more technical question to someone who has more experience than I do.

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:26 am

Sandy is eating really less than yesterday and he still hasnt gone in for a surgery. I think the antibiotic have taken a toll on him. Should I discontinue metronidazole and give him some other antibiotic? Please help.

He is becoming very difficult to handfeed. He will chew on the syringe for two seconds but when I dispose off the medicines/food he doesnt chew afterwards. Is he swallowing the food or no? He will also kind of sneeze inbetween. Am I hande feeding him the right way and not aspirating him?

Please please help. I can't see my poor boy struggling :(

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:20 pm

I am sorry you are having a difficult time. I don't know if you will find the answers you need on the hand feeding or tips page but that is all I have to offer (you need to see chewing motion to have the food going down).

www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html
www.guinealynx.info/tips.html

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:28 pm

He should be chewing while you have the syringe in his mouth -- that way you know he's swallowing.

How exactly are you putting the syringe in his mouth? And then what?

Pooja Mehta

Post   » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:35 pm

Thank you Lynx for helping with the pictures.

I put the syringe through the side of his mouth behind his incisors and IF he starts chewing the syringe then I dispose the food, otherwise I try to go a little deep near his molars and wait for him to chew the syringe.
After putting the food in his mouth, I remove the syringe and allow him to chew the food (which most guinea pigs do) but he doesn't chew or do any mouth movement which shows that he swallowing.
He kind of sneezes/removes air from his nose/ mouth at times. Is he actually swallowing? Am I hand feeding wrongly and aspirating him?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:04 pm

It sounds like you are doing things right be he is not cooperating. Is your guinea pig weak? Limp? doing very badly? Generally they will make some effort to chew. Does it seem the food gets swallowed? Are you maintaining weight?