Help dealing with local pet store

RKelly

Post   » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:15 pm

I made a mistake today and went into a newish local pet store looking for bones for a client's dog. Now I mostly want to set the owner and employees on fire. They had three pigs. One was in a small aquarium, another in a small cage, and the third was in a storage tote. No hay in sight. I managed to get a quick peek at one's foot and not sure if it was poop or a sore trying to start. No hide nothing but water bottles. It smelled like urine really bad, Right after I started talking to the pigs they all started wheeking. Employee said they wanted hay and they ate every piece. I tried telling her they had to have hay 24/7 but I was ignored. They closed before I got off work and are closed tomorrow. I plan on printing out some info and going back Monday. I am also going to video the conditions and my conversation with hopefully the owner (all in secret of course). If the information gets ignored which local authorities should I contact? Any national ones? Other than trying to educate them on the basics, sending them here, and/or reporting them what else can I do?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:13 pm

Here's the link for Animal Control in the city of Knoxville. I'd call them and ask where you should report animal abuse. Store owners aren't generally required to do much, but they are supposed to provide the basic food needs, and that certainly includes a constant supply of hay for guinea pigs.

Marvenpimp

Post   » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:36 am

I had the same problem with a petting zoo in my neighbourhood. The pigs were outside year round, housed with rabbits and the drinking water was green. I pestered every single employee until I got to talk to the person in charge. As usual I was dismissed but after threats of involving authorities they moved the pigs to an empty chicken coop inside and provided them with fresh water and hay. I wasn't happy with it but it was better than nothing. They no longer have guinea pigs there which is good, but I shudder when I think about what might have happened to those pigs.

ClemmyOddieIndy

Post   » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:00 am

If you plan to film you'll want to double check your state laws. Some states have laws against filming to expose animal cruelty. My state tends to protect abusers more than animals. There are also some states with laws against filming others without their consent for purposes of exposing them in some way.

If you're going to talk with the owners, I would recommend coming up with a plan for telling them why proper care is beneficial to them (the owners). For example, proper sized cages are more expensive than fish tanks and storage bins. If they provided proper sized cages for sale, along with the pigs, they would stand to increase their revenue. As they stand right now, by showing cheaper alternatives, they are reducing a potential way to make more money. If they house same sex pigs together, they also stand to increase the chance of selling two instead of one. Especially if they push for how important it is for pigs to be in pairs. As for hay, I'd suggest they get their hay in a large bale or in bulk from a feed store, you can get a bale for less than $10) or farmer. Suggest they use this hay for their store pigs, and then turn around and sell bags of Oxbow or Kay-Tee or whatever they have. That way they can make money off selling the hay to customers who purchase pigs.

If you can convince them that they'll stand a better chance of making money with proper care, you're more likely to see proper care.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:12 am

Oh, nice angle.

WICharlie

Post   » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:42 am

I can tell you from experience that you need to be prepared for disappointment. My advice is to not confront the staff or try to educate them. It may result in them banning you from the store (ask me how I know...). At the very least they will dislike you and every time you enter the store they will have an employee follow you around like they expect you are going to steal something. Pet store owners can be the most ignorant and STUBBORN of any people that you might meet. They will not take kindly to being told how to run their business. The best thing to do is to contact animal control with your concerns and let them check it out. Go back in several months later and see if conditions have changed. If not, contact animal control again.

Kimera

Post   » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:29 pm

You will definitely catch more flies with honey than with vinegar :). As it has already been said, don't be confrontational, don't accuse the owner - and particularly the employees, who often do what they can, even without their bosses approval. If the conditions are not appalling, compliment everything that is done right, and suggest ways the conditions may be improved even more.

RKelly

Post   » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:15 pm

@WICharlie I'm quite interested in how you managed to get kicked out. I think it's fun to get kicked out lol. Finally made it back to the store. The pigs were already sold supposed to be getting three babies in the near future.I spoke with the owner this time and she seemed to know some about basic care. Guess I'll see when the little ones arrive.