Guinea pig sitting questions

CavyGirl04

Post   » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:19 pm

So, I've been gone the last few days on vacation and a girl I know (and trust) has been taking care of the piggies. She did give them floor time, but obviously, not several hours per day. I just came back tonight, and when I was saying hi to piggies, I noticed a bit of a scab under the fur of one. I looked further, and there's a large area scabbed over; it looks like a scraped knee, a large part is scabbed over (and much of the skin is also raw). What could this be? The other pig is completely fine - no raw skin, no scabs or anything. Could they have fought? Could it be something like mites (and if so, are my piggies at risk of getting it?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:27 pm

I doubt that it's mites. It could be an injury. I'd watch it carefully to make sure there's no infection, and to see if the pig is aggravating it by licking or scratching it. If so, you'll need to treat it and possibly cover it.

CavyGirl04

Post   » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:38 pm

Okay, it does look like it's healing properly. although he wasn't super thrilled about me pushing his fur backwards to get a good look and touching around the scabs, nothing looks infected. I'll watch him carefully.
If it is infected or gets opened, can I use something like Neosporin on it to prevent/treat infection? I don't want anything to happen, especially since they're not my piggies.
The owner also said that something like this happened to his lip and went away. I don't know if that means they have fought before...

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:11 pm

Yes, you can apply Neosporin very sparingly and rub it in very well. You don't want him to lick it off, which is why I didn't suggest putting it on unless it looks like it's beginning to be infected.

How large a cage are they in? And do they have hideys with only one door?

CavyGirl04

Post   » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:19 pm

I just went in to check on him, and his side is now bleeding! I think he was trying to itch it, which, of course, led to the scab breaking. It doesn't seem infected, but I at least want to cover it so he doesn't mess with it any more, but how should I do that?

Their cage is small (there's another post about it, I believe you suggested dropping a concrete block on it). Their hidey is usually knocked down, so it has more than one entrance, but it is made to be against the side and have one. It's too small for both of them, though. That's one of the main things they fight over, actually. I would put in a second, but the cage is too small for it; they would have NO space to do anything with another hidey.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:21 pm

Can you separate them? Put one in the bathtub or something?

Where exactly is the sore? Is it on his body, or his leg? And how large is it? Can you post a picture? You can send one to Lynx and she'll post it.

CavyGirl04

Post   » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:41 pm

It's not a sore so much as a big scab. Kind of like what a scraped knee looks like - kind of widespread with sort of a bumpy scab. It's on his side and butt. I can't tell its exact size, but probably at least an inch around. It's hard to get a look at, so I don't think any picture I could somehow get would be any good. He's pretty squirmy, and it's all beneath his fur, anyway.

As for separating them, I might be able to put down my spare fleece pad and put one in a bathtub or laundry basket. Now that I'm back, I will be resuming "floor time all the time" for every waking hour I'm home, so that should help. For the last few days they've mostly been cooped up together in their puny cage.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:51 pm

Is it an area that he can scratch with his feet? Or bite at with his teeth? It may be mites after all -- I misread your first post and thought the sore was on his leg. The classic sign of mites on a pig's back is a V-shaped pattern with the bottom of the V at the middle of the upper back and the two legs pointing toward the pig's rear legs. It's the area a pig can reach when it's trying to bite at mites. And if this pig only has an infestation on one side and can reach that area, it could be mites.

It could also be a fungus. It would really help if you can get a picture to Lynx so we can see what it looks like.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:56 pm

CavyGirl04

Post   » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:01 am

Shoot, I hope it's not mites. The patch sounds like it's in the right area. I'll see if I can get a picture tomorrow.

I read over the mites and fungus pages. I don't think it looks like fungus, but I'm worried about mites. I have a couple questions:
-Do I need to treat ALL my guinea pigs? The girls have not been in direct contact with the boys, but they have shared the floor time area and cuddle cup.

-I know mites are often treated with ivermectin. Do I need to see a vet to get that? I saw some online (mostly horse/cattle deworming stuff), but is it the right stuff? I don't really want to do a vet visit, especially since these aren't my piggies.

Thank you so much for all the help!
Last edited by CavyGirl04 on Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:05 am

It's just an option to explore. It still may be an injury. Look for any scratching (regarding possible mites).

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:26 am

Ivermectin does not require a vet visit, and it's pretty cheap. It is used for de-worming all sorts of animals. And yes, all the pigs will need to be treated, but it's not that hard. Send the picture and let us get a look, and we'll go from there.