Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:08 am

You can send a picture here:

Read about ivermectin topical dosing here:
www.guinealynx.info/topical_ivermectin.html

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:40 pm

Here you go. Looks like an injury. I would continue to keep a close eye on things and watch for any scratching.

CavyGirl04

Post   » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:50 pm

Okay, if it's just an injury then it should be okay. He has been scratching it a lot, though. This morning I found a bit of blood on his fur again and as I was holding him and taking the pictures he was trying to scratch it often. Is there anything I can do to minimize scratching, like covering the area? It will never heal if he keeps scratching it as much as he does.
Also, I weighed him today and I'm pretty sure he's lost around 50 grams! I can't figure out where I wrote down his weight last week, but I remember it was around 1250 grams, and it's now 1200. Although his normal owner doesn't weigh him and 1250 is just one data point, it is still 50 grams. Is this a significant weight loss?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:21 pm

I think it could be mites. I'd definitely treat him for them -- if he has them it will help, if he doesn't it won't hurt.

No, 50 grams is not a significant weight loss. The only way you can determine significance is through regular weighings at the same time of day, preferably before breakfast. You watch for a pattern. If you don't do it that way, you don't know what the pig has eaten/not eaten or pooped/not pooped at the time of the weighings.

What you want is .5% or 1% pour-on ivermectin, not the paste. You can usually find it at feed stores, or from Amazon.

CavyGirl04

Post   » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:33 pm

I will probably treat for mites, especially if the skin irritation persists and he keeps itching a lot. It also looks like he is losing hair around the affected area.
Would you recommend weighing him more often right now or is once per week okay?
I found some ivermectin that looks ok, but I don't know the percentage. It just says 5 mg/ml. Is that a good concentration?

Thank you so much for all the help.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:03 pm

Yep, that's .5%

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:13 pm

Use www.guinealynx.info/calculate_dose.html to help you figure out the dose.

The scratching does greatly increase the likelihood it is mites so ditto on the treating for them.

Weigh daily any time your guinea pig is ill and especially if you think there may be weight loss.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:28 pm

Actually, here's an easier way to figure the dose: https://www.guinealynx.info/topical_iver ... ur-on.html

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:32 pm

Yes, much easier.

Painful when you don't remember all the pages!

CavyGirl04

Post   » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:15 pm

Although I ordered the ivermectin on Amazon, it will not be here for two more days, and Pan Pan (the piggie) has gotten worse. He now has a patch of total hair loss the size of a dime and the surrounding area has thin hair. He is obviously in pain. Is there a way to get the ivermectin faster, such as taking him to the vet? I have been to three big pet stores in my area and none had it.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:16 pm

The vet will probably give him Revolution, which will also work. It's just way more expensive than ivermectin, plus the vet visit.

CavyGirl04

Post   » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:30 pm

Also, any experience diluting ivermectin? I don't feel super comfortable with accurately sucking up .07 cc of it, but I can definitely do a dilution (my mom went to pharmacy school for a while; she knows what she's doing).