Basement Living?

Coco-Pepe Mom

Post   » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:42 am

When I decided to get my two piggies, the first thing my husband said was the back bedroom was a good place - I said "no way, they are going in the living room"....the best option is to keep their cage in an active area of your home so that you get the most possible interaction. Without this, they will not become "tame" or really get to know you. Mine are right in front of the fireplace too (we don't use it). I love having them in the living room...I talk to them, pet them, watch them...I wouldn't have them anywhere else; especially not the basement (unless you're down there a lot). Good luck with the decision! :)

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:13 pm

If it's not heated, I wouldn't do it. If you make the cage, you can make it any configuration you need, like an L that maybe you can tuck into the corner of another room.

CavyHouse
Supporter in '11

Post   » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:01 pm

At one point, I was getting my house interior painted so I had to move the rescue piggies down to our basement - no windows. I was trying to keep the lights on during the day, but my son kept seeing the lights on and turned them off - so not sure how much of the day they were in the dark.

I don't remember exactly how many piggies I had down there but every single piggy lost weight during their stay down there - many in the 70-100 gram range. It was plenty warm. So I think piggies do need a certain amount of light. I won't put them down there again.