how to convert to new pellets

lilythepig2017

Post   » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:01 am

Not surprisingly Lily (three months old) came eating terrible pellets from the pet store full over sugar raisins hydrogenated out and food dye. I would like her off these and eating oxbow brand.

I bought her them oxbow but she leaves them every time. I had tried increasing amount slowly but every day she leaves behind only oxbow.

She also doesn't eat veggies at all. Today I minced veggies very very small then mixed new oxbow pellets into it, let them dissolve. Then mixed up her favorite terrible pellets into it. It seems to be working...she's eating it st least. I'm hoping she'll taste veggies and get some new pellets on her tongue. Will this work? Any other suggestions?

thanks so much

OliCavies

Post   » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:19 am

Maybe you could go ahead and hold her in your lap then hold the veggies. Let her smell them, if she doesn't eat them take a small piece and try to put it in her mouth. But don't be to forceful

lilythepig2017

Post   » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:37 am

Thanks for your reply.

is SO stubborn with veggies. She will lick but will not eat. I've held them. Put them in enticing positions etc. Nothing lol

But one step at a time :D. For now I would love to get her on these new pellets. I'd love to hear more suggestions! :)

OliCavies

Post   » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:56 am

Does she even eat any hay because hay is even more important for her diet.

I wouldn't worry about her not eating the pellets, all though you could try to take out the poor quality pellets entirely and put in the oxbow pellets. She will learn that there is no more sugary pellets and might try the oxbow pellets on her own.

Do you know anything (except the raisins) that she likes. If so, then go ahead and reward her every time she eats the oxbow pellets.

Hope this helps :)

WICharlie

Post   » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:57 pm

As long as she has access to the old food, she will never eat the new. It's like offering a kid a candy bar and a dish of carrots. They choose the candy every time because it tastes good. They have no clue that eating candy all the time is bad for them. Take out the crap pellets and throw them away. Then put the new pellets in her dish and leave them in. She will eat them eventually. It may take 3 or 4 days or even up to a few weeks. And as long as she has hay, she will not starve.

As to the veggies, keep offering them to her and keep offering different ones. Try bits of carrot but use a peeler to make long, thin pieces. Hold her and hold a piece in her mouth until she starts chewing (I've NEVER known a pig that doesn't like a bit of carrot!) Try bits of red, green or yellow bell pepper. Hold her on your lap and let her see YOU eating them (chew loudly). Put shreds of red or green leaf lettuce in amongst the hay. Give her something everyday or twice a day. She doesn't know it's food.

CavyGirl04

Post   » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:40 pm

A trick for getting them to like veggies is to use lettuce (once they like that) to make a "burrito" with the new, scary food inside. If you can get her to accidentally try a bit of the new food, she'll realize it actually yummy. Also, you can try tricking her by feeding her a treat food (like apple) and then following it with another kind of veggie. My girls learned this trick after a couple times, but it is how I got them to like bell pepper.

OliCavies

Post   » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:37 pm

So is Lily eating her oxbow pellets?

lilythepig2017

Post   » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:04 am

Hello guys!

Somehow I completely missed your replies here!

So I had been leaving her oxbow in the cage and in evenings mixing minced veg into her junk pellets to get her to “accidentally” eat some veg while trying to eat those pellets.

Do you guys think I should totally cut the altogether? If so, how long should I give of her not eating her oxbow pellets before I try another brand? 2 or three weeks? Will she miss out on vitamins?

I have some herbs from fuzzie kingdom in there that allegedly have vitamins and minerals and I give her bluegrass and orchard grass + Vitamin C serum by syringe but will she be ok a few weeks without pellets while she adjusts?

She is one stubborn pig though. She doesn’t eat veg or healthy pellets but she makes up for it in her super sweet personality. 💕 We have had her just 2 weeks and she begs to come out, climbs out on her own and loves to be held. Last night she was lying on her stretched out flat, yawning and sleeping with me petting her while we watched a movie. She has already settled in so nicely. Such a lovely little pig

Any tips on those veggies also most appreciated! :D

Thanks everyone! And happy new year!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:18 am

Just throw the old pellets out for the birds and feed her the new ones. She'll be fine until she starts eating them.

The best way to get her to eat veggies is to get another pig. The best food is always in the other pig's mouth.

What kind of tips on veggies are you looking for? There are files both here at a GPC, where you also post, with lists of veggies. And here's a thread on how to get pigs to eat veggies: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/th ... vegetables

lilythepig2017

Post   » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:07 pm

Thanks so much for your reply.

So mixing those garbage pellets in with minced veggies worked! Today I served her just the minced veggies without pellets and she gobbled them all up! Two servings worth! I’m going to keep these junk pellets to train her eating all kinds of veggies the next two weeks then throw them away. So please do this worked! She can now eat peas and carrots (I will only serve once a week) and fennel!

WICharlie

Post   » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:20 pm

Peas and fennel? Please check out this page from the health care guide on what veggies to feed: https://www.guinealynx.info/fave.html

Take note that leafy green veggies should be what the pig eats the most of every day. And everything given should be fresh, not cooked or from frozen. I think you will find that the pig will be more eager to eat leafy veggies than the peas. And fennel has a very strong flavor and may not be to their liking. Think red or green leaf lettuce, endive, cucumber, tomato, bell pepper, etc. Things you would put in a salad.

lilythepig2017

Post   » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:45 pm

Are they not good? I’ve seen conflicting stuff on peas, one chart said higher in calcium, one said they were one of the lowest. I’ve onky seen good stuff about fennel saying high in vit c and low in calcium.