Scurvy? Or something else?

Phantomhorse

Post   » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:26 pm

A couple weeks ago one of my guinea pigs presented as severely dehydrated, ravenous, unmoving, unresponsive, feverish, and was lying on twisted feet and not realizing. After being rushed in as an emergency, he was given a vitamin b and c shot, fluids, and a warm incubator and improved drastically overnight. The blood results showed that he was borderline hypoglycemic, and low on a blood protein. The following day he was well enough to go home, but he refused to drink on his own for two days. A week later he went back in and got another vitamin C shot, as a second pig living here that had been anemic had significantly improved on it, and after a year of being sick (he has TMJ too) he made a recovery that I couldn't have dreamed of. I thought I was losing him. This one got the shot, and perked up a bit, started coming out of his house, but he hasn't made a full recovery, or gained back all the weight. He had dropped down to 610 grams, and is up to about 750g now, almost a month later, and not gaining anymore. He also has a lump on his back that was previously filled with pus underneath, but drained the following day and is now a scabbed over with dried blood wound about the size of a pencil eraser. I have started giving him bene-bac in hopes that it would help him improve, but I just want him to get out of the woods. Any suggestions?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:34 pm

Is this a new guinea pig that is ill? It is a good idea to put the name of each guinea pig in the title of their thread.

You can syringe fluids if he is not well-hydrated. For some types of medical conditions, giving fluid by IV a couple times a week helps too.
www.guinealynx.info/subcue.html

With any ill guinea pig, it is important to weigh daily and hand feed if necessary. I think you know this.

andyjohns1217

Post   » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:18 pm

I feel you. I was very very very worried last week after the [url=http://www.[removed].com/]junk removal[/url] left the house, my pig started to chill. I left him out in the yard while the team was doing their job. I had him drink water, good thing he took it, then he was ok. Is heat stroke possible for pigs like them?