Guniea pig broke premolar tooth!

tesagal

Post   » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:27 pm

I have been hand feeding her but that is not going to help her with eating hay to grind down her teeth.

I am trying so hard to give her timothy hay and a sweet one. She smells it and then walks away from it.

I have also been put critical care on a plate in her xagw but she won't touch it!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:34 pm

Then feed her with a syringe. Lynx gave you a link to instructions.

tesagal

Post   » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:57 am

i am now finding that my girl will only ear the hay when I feed it to her. Bit I am finding that she now has got very runny poops.

I don't know of she has really runny poop cause she has only been eating vegies for the last 3 days but she also has hay in her cage if she wants it!!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:24 am

Contact your vet asap. You need to be feeding crushed pellets or Critical Care. Diarrhea is deadly.
diarrhea.html
handfeeding.html

tesagal

Post   » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:31 am

Hello the vet is telling me that my gunies pig is not moving her the way that she should be and that he thinks that the reason she is not eating hay is due to her missing her premolae tooth.

And we don't know if her premolar will grow back at all either as don't know when it broke or how she broke it. And he thinks that id the tooth don't grow back then we may have to put her to sleep and I don't want that to happen at all!!

Phantomhorse

Post   » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:28 am

Is the vet you are seeing a recommended vet? This sounds odd to me. I had a guinea pig that fractured multiple teeth to the gumline that recovered fine. If your guinea pig is still having trouble eating, she may be in pain. You can absolutely do many things to help her, and based on what you are describing now, she should not need to be put down from this. Ditto Lynx and bpatters - Critical care has many ingredients that she needs to be getting, and if she is hungry then she will likely take it. Another option aside from critical care is timothy based pellets, they are made of nothing but timothy hay, and if you put them in water they get nice and soft. The weight loss is very drastic, and you should be weighing her daily to make sure that she isn't losing more. I have had a guinea pig survive off of nothing but critical care for weeks. If your vet doesn't think that the root is there, an x-ray will confirm, and show you if there are any underlying problems in her mouth overall. If you aren't proactive and trying to handfeed to get her weight up, she will continue to deteriorate and you will not be able to save her. Her eating hay to grind down her teeth is NOT what you need to be focusing on right now. She has lost nearly half of her body weight and that can be, and usually is life threatening. If you don't get her weight up, she will continue to decline. Her teeth will wear down well enough with her chewing the critical care or mash. Worst case, she needs to get them trimmed.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:14 pm

Another option aside from critical care is timothy based pellets, they are made of nothing but timothy hay, ...
Just a quick note to say timothy pellets have lots of other ingredients, not just timothy.
pellets.html

tesagal

Post   » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:33 pm

The vet has said to me that She is not moving her teeth the way that she should because she has broken her premolae tooth. And they don't know if her premolar tooth will grow back or not.

Can anyone tell.me if a x-ray will show if there is any roots were she lost the tooth. as the ver said that there's a 3mm hole where her premolae was.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:46 pm

Did you read Phantomhorse's response? She answered your question before you asked.