Mokey 3 year old sow with scab under nostrils on midline

hbee

Post   » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:42 am

My 3 year old sow, Mokey, has a sore beneath her nostrils on the midline that runs down to her mouth. I have no idea what she could have cut it on or why but it has scabbed over ( or it appears to have) I placed a damp cloth with saline on it earlier but it did not dissolve any of the scab - I hope it's not some other problem. How should I treat this - she is acting 100% normal and is a little chub with an attitude. But a snuggle bug at lap time. Any suggestions for treating this at home, or should I just keep an eye on it? Thank you so much guys.

Clint The Cuy

Post   » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:14 am

Do you have a good photo that you can post of her nose?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:09 am

Take a look at https://www.guinealynx.info/cheilitis.html and see if that's what it looks like.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:36 am

You have a couple other threads on Mokey. Since they are so old, I am not closing this one but you will need to keep all your medical questions about Mokey on this thread and not start any new ones in the medical forum. People are not allowed to have multiple threads on an individual guinea pig here. Having the history all together is very important.

Ditto on the possible cheilitis. Check out bpatter's link.

You can send me a crisp clear pic if you have one and wish to send one:

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:41 am

Lynx, the warning about only one medical thread per pig has disappeared from the medical forum when beginning a new thread. Maybe that needs to be added back?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:44 am

It is difficult with this new software to get everything in place. I think I tried to do this and failed. I will look again.

But long time members (like this one) should know it is one thread per guinea pig.

hbee

Post   » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:25 pm

Hi Lynx,
I'm sorry, it's been so long since I posted about Mokey that I forgot! I will only use this thread from now on for her. I also will try to get a good picture tonight. It really hasn't changed much since I last posted, and I'm not sure if it could be cheilitis - there is only one "scab" so far. Thank you as always for your help and wisdom :)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:56 pm

These are not very clear but point to likely cheilitis.
cheilitis.html

Your guinea pig is adorable!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:37 pm

I'd definitely treat for cheilitis.

hbee

Post   » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:59 pm

Update on Mokey - I used a simple saline solution for humans by Ayr twice a day I would just rinse and then hold a dampened cotton ball to the nose. It cleared right up! No more scab and her nose looks beautiful as ever. Question however on nail clipping. As I was doing so last week - it appears as though she is growing an extra nail from the same toe. Have you heard of this before? I've never seen it before on her or either of my two other piggies.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:45 pm

There are anomalies in guinea pigs and I imagine it occasionally happens. Sometimes guinea pigs will develop "peg teeth", which are extra.

Look closely at the nail to see if it is instead split into two parts.