Toby - potential URI and heart issues

Fred_and_co

Post   » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:37 am

On the 9th February I had Toby to the vet for a clear nasal discharge only one nostril was affected, he has also been quite a big drinker. He was prescribed Baytril and had a 10 day course there was no change, he still had a very slight discharge but no other symptons. The vet said to keep an eye on him he was still eating, pottering about as normal.

Last week, Toby had further investigation done at a different vet as although he was eating he was spending a lot of time not acting like his usual self. He had a nasal flush, swabs, X-rays and blood work done. Since his sedation he has been off his food, and developed bloat despite coming round and eating with gusto when he was woken back up.

I have been syringing feeding him since he is still nibbling although yesterday he seemed very poorly. He was given an injection of randitine, cerenia and has Emeprid. He has perked up again and is nibbling again. He is on metacam, Emeprid, randitine and co-trimoxazole as well as probiotics daily which he started yesterday. Vegetables have been removed at present due to the bloat although it's the only thing he would eat with gusto if given the option, as he's still mooching for them.

His weight has dropped last week he was Thursday 848g he is currently 770g. I am Nebulising him with F10, his discharge is still clear and only affecting one nostril he does sneeze and sound congested in his nose, almost like it's blocked, I also have a massage pad which we use daily, things are moving as he is passing stool far be it smaller stool than normal but this is reflecting his decrease in appetite.

His blood results showed he is anemic and he had low blood cells both red and white, although the vet did say this could be due to them attacking the infection and once he's over this infection we may consider bloods again to make sure that there is not something more sinister isn't going on. The swab didn't reveal any particular bacteria but the vet believed there was enough evidence of an infection to start treating again with antibiotics.

At present he is being syringe fed critical care but I do really need to get weight on him and to stay on him so if anyone could recommend some much loved high calorie foods, I'd like to know about them.

I am currently aiming for 3-4 syringe feeds per day maximum I can get him to take is 20ml's per sitting although when I believed he was eating I didn't syringe feed him as much and I do see him nibbling so be is eating a little just not nearly enough.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:01 am

It sounds like you are doing everything right. Does there seem to be any congestion in his chest? Might nebulizing help? A very few guinea pigs actually do have allergies. What's it like where you are living? Any mold in the home?

I wish I had suggestions for putting back the weight. It is a slow process.

Fred_and_co

Post   » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:51 pm

I've only started the Nebulising yesterday, I'm doing it for 15-20 minutes. He definitely isn't a fan but I suppose it'll be worth it if it helps.

He's quite wheezy, seems to be his nasal passage rather than his chest. He definitely has mucus from his nostril but it's clear mostly, sometimes cloudy, he does sneeze mucus which makes me think it's an infection rather than allergy.

No mold in the house.

He's still nibbling this evening, and I was pleasantly surprised to find him not located in his house he'd ventured out to his water bottle. He's held his weight at 770grams today, would just like him to gain some, he's so tiny.

Fred_and_co

Post   » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:17 am

Perhaps the antibiotics are starting to work. Toby has been off his pellets since he became ill but I noticed there was none in the bowl this morning. I don't feed a huge amount so generally everyone polishes them off almost immediately but since Toby has been unwell the dish has had pellets in it. I topped it up and Toby actually ate some! Hoping this is a turning point, but keeping up the syringe feeding in the meantime don't want to stop prematurely and then find he loses more weight.

He was 775grams this morning, so although tiny it is a gain. He does seem to be eating more on his own.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:31 am

That is encouraging. I am sure you will continue to keep a very close eye on him. You might want to read over www.guinealynx.info/antibiotic_advice.html in case he goes off his food.

Fred_and_co

Post   » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:48 am

Thanks Lynx, he appears to be doing really well with the Antibiotics, he's also still on the gut mobility drugs.

I decreased his feeding yesterday as he was eating more and putting up a huge struggle. I'm glad to see he's continuing to eat a lot more and has gained again this morning. He's now 780 grams.

Hopefully he'll continue this upward gain!

Fred_and_co

Post   » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:51 am

Toby is still on antibiotics (Septrin), Loxicom also known as Metacam for inflammation rather than pain and Nebulising him twice a day with F10. I have noticed when he's being nebulised the one problem nostril has alot more discharge and his nose whistles for a bit until it clears. Is this normal during and after Nebulising?

Good news is Toby is maintaining himself and off his gut stimulants.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:31 am

Yes, I'd think that's normal. The mist is getting into his nasal passages and loosening the stuff up so that it drains, and that's a good thing.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:21 pm

I knew nothing about nebulizing with F10. In reading, it is important that this be the ANTISEPTIC SOLUTION (not the F10 cleaning solution) and that the organism in question must be sensitive to benzalkonium chloride and polyhexanide. I do not recall this product mentioned previously. It is not an antibiotic and might not actually kill the organism.

https://www.fda.gov/downloads/AnimalVet ... 440013.pdf
Based on a thorough review of the literature, data from laboratory studies, and their own personal experience, the qualified expert panel concluded that F10 brand ANTISEPTIC SOLUTION is both effective and safe for the following uses:
  • For the treatment and control of upper and lower respiratory tract disease associated with bacterial, fungal, or viral organisms susceptible to benzalkonium chloride and polyhexanide in raptors, pet birds, captive small mammals, and captive reptiles; and
  • For use as a topical antiseptic for surface wounds on raptors, pet birds, captive small mammals, captive reptiles, and captive exotic/zoo mammals.

Fred_and_co

Post   » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:29 pm

He's also on antibiotics ( Septrin)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:07 pm

Was the infection analysed so you would use the most effective antibiotics for it and determine if it is susceptible to benzalkonium chloride and polyhexanide?

Fred_and_co

Post   » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:05 am

We're using both F10 and antibiotics (Septrin). We did a nasal swab and it showed a wide range of bacteria it didn't highlight a specific bacteria which is why the antibiotic Septrin was chosen. The F10 is to help clear the nasal passage, and relieve his nose of the congestion.