Glandular Fever

rosemarykw

Post   » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:37 pm

Can guinea pigs get glandular fever? I have just got my blood test back and apparently I had it for six weeks. I still have it but it is no longer contagious. And the doctor said it is near it’s end. I have a sick piggy who has a tilted head and small swollen lymph node. Yes I have been to the vet 3 days ago for her and another piggy. But I only this morning got my test results back. My piggy, lily who has the head tilt was diagnosed with an ear infection which she has before. I am now a little worried I may have passed something ontogeny. My other piggies seem fine.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:58 pm

Call your vet and ask him/her what they think. I am unfamiliar with glandular fever. Is it a virus or bacteria? Bacterial infections I think are more contagious. Viruses are often particular to a species.

rosemarykw

Post   » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:16 pm

It’s a virus. I have contacted my vet I am just waiting for them to get back to me

rosemarykw

Post   » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:41 am

My vet got back to me later on that day and said they have never heard of glandular fever transferring to guinea pigs. I also had rang unusual pet vets and they said the same thing. Both said just keep an eye on them. I do have concerns with one piggy, Lily who has a head tilt from an ear infection, she has an enlarged lymph node in her neck/throat area which is sore to touch. She is on metacam and antibiotics. I see the vet tomorrow for a check up. So I will ask tomorrow about. My vets are very good

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:14 pm

The enlarged lymph node in her neck/throat area, check it out for cervical lymphadenitis.

This post is old but does explain some things.
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... 439#160439

Here is Tracis' Links Topic:
https://www.guinealynx.info/records/viewtopic.php?t=75

rosemarykw

Post   » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:50 am

Thank you for the link. Sorry for the late reply. Lily is already on baytril twice a day. But I will keep an eye on it. If it gets larger the vet has already said they will do a biopsy and send it away. My fear is that it is lymphoma. I had another piggy with lymphoma and had to let her go over to the rainbow bridge. I am going to ring the vet tomorrow and see if they know anything about it. I need extra antibiotics for Lily. I accidentally dropped the bottle whilst it was open. Plus I was going down anyway cause one of the vet nurses is my rescue male piggy’s former foster carer. He is going to visit her especially after he had two tumours removed

rosemarykw

Post   » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:33 am

Update on Lily. She is having a biopsy done on Tuesday. Fingers crossed they can find out what is wrong. She is also on criticare cause she has lost weight

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:57 am

Sending good wishes your way!

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:48 pm

I'm with Lynx - hoping something positive happens for you.

rosemarykw

Post   » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:22 am

Thank you. My fingers are crossed that it is positive. I am starting wonder if she has gone deaf as well. Cause normally as soon as I open the cage she is right there. I have to put the food up to her nose so she can know where it is now. I know she is blind that has been confirmed by the vet.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:06 pm

You could try some little experiments to see if she is deaf. It could be that vibration helped her know when you were there.

rosemarykw

Post   » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:41 pm

I whistled when I was holding her the other piggies reacted by she didn’t. Now I have to touch her in the cage for her to react. But I have noticed this morning she moving around a bit more