Eye infection again.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:44 am

Darn it! Just when I was bragging about Mr Bubbles not getting eye infections in nearly a year, he goes and gets another one. I don't think it's a hay poke this time because he's getting the thinner orchard hay with virtually no thick or stiff pieces.

Luckily, I have the drops, so I'll be giving him those again. 2 drops a day for 5 days did the trick last time, but I'll call the vet tomorrow and get her advice. No changes in diet or activity and it doesn't appear to cause him any discomfort. I caught it very early.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:02 am

This is his good eye for reference.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:31 am

That's odd. The eye doesn't even look irritated, from what I can see. Blocked tear duct, maybe?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:25 am

Just what I was thinking (blocked tear duct). Try a warm, wet compress and gentle massage to see if that helps. A veterinary ophthalmologist can also address blocked tear ducts (I would look for one who has dealt with the small tear ducts a guinea pig has).

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:54 am

Interesting. I never thought of that. It looks like some infection in there. I'll try the warm compress and see what happens. Certainly wouldn't hurt anything.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:18 pm

You can also check for an odor - which would likely be present if there was an infection.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:48 pm

No odor noted as of yet. Just the clear puss like discharge. I should also note that it looks like a clear discharge with the naked eye. The camera flash makes it look worse than it is. I believe I caught it early. 2 eye drop treatments in and it looks better. It's Ofloxacin Opthalmic Solution. If there's any infection, it should clear that right up. There's no swelling or deformation in the eye. Something might have gotten into his eye but if that's the case, it's not in there anymore.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:25 pm

The eye normally excretes "cleaning fluid" to keep the eye moist. That is what sef and I thought we were seeing.
www.guinealynx.info/eyes.html

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:54 pm

I know about that from the last real eye infection he had. This looks a little excessive and it's only in the one eye. It's also a lot more than what Scruffy's eyes put out. Is there such a thing as an overactive tear duct? Also it looks better today after 2 treatments with the eye drops. I'm keeping a close eye on him. There's no change in any of his habits as of now.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:59 am

Eye looks a lot better. I cleaned it up and put drops in it this morning and tonight, it looks like that.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:43 am

Can he blink normally?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:27 am

That looks really good. If it were an eye infection, I don't imagine that it would have cleared up so quickly. It almost makes me think that the eye just needed to be flushed out, for whatever reason, which the warm compresses and eye drops accomplished. If/when it happens again, you might try the warm compresses and flushing with plain saline first before switching to an antibiotic. Just a thought.