piggy noise

sozansound2

Post   » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:25 pm

I do have a syringe that is used for rabbits and ot has a long curved tip but I don't know if that is enough lenght to bypass his respiratory track so I dont want to use it and risk deeper suffering for my little boy

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:28 pm

You put one of the regular 1cc syringes in the side of the mouth, a little ways back to where the molars are and wiggle it. There is a natural reflex to chew.

Is your guinea pig limp? Completely unresponsive?

sozansound2

Post   » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:34 pm

So a short version. Surgery for the bladder stone was successful. She manipulated the stone to come out to the penis and slice a bit to get it out.

He woke up and was eating. He was very responsive. He loved the critical care that he would reach for it. 2 hours later he went downhill.

He is weak and wont chew when the syringe is next to his mollars. I had to make a decision what to do. I decided to reunite him and the female pair at home and give him some time and see if I can nurse him. He has been here for 4 hours.

Noticed a while back he is moving more of his legs and scooting foward when touching his back legs and now I am here.

Just checking up on him. Gonna watch him even overnight incase I catch him moving and maybe start swallowing by God's will.

The stone was blocking urine from coming out and when removed, she placed a catheter and mentioned the urine did look ugly. I assume there could maybe be other problems going on or it was the anesthesia and really hit him hard and with everything he went through with the pain of the stone and such.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:38 pm

With the long, curved tip syringe, you could give the pain medication very, very slowly. Practice with some plain water first if you are worried. You must wiggle the syringe to get the chewing motion to start.

Watch for any diarrhea.
https://www.guinealynx.info/diarrhea.html

When he woke up, he probably felt fine because of pain medication used during surgery.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:43 pm

There are three posts by Talishan in this forum. They contain valuable information for post operative care. I encourage you to read them:
https://www.guinealynx.info/records/viewforum.php?f=29

sozansound2

Post   » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:43 pm

I have tried for a while so I decided to lay him down with warm blankets and let him rest. I will attempt in a little bit and see if he will chew

I was thinking the same thing but they had closed to ask if they had an injectable pain killer of sorts that is not the ones that messes up a piggy

sozansound2

Post   » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:48 pm

If he is still with me, I will call and see if they have something and try to see if we can get some thing in him if he responds immediately.

I will take a look at those for sure. It is very heart breaking when the only thing u can do is the one thing he cant do which is grind his teeth at the moment. The other is Male him comfortable as possible

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:49 pm

This is the most important topic for you to read. There are other pain medications that could help too.
https://www.guinealynx.info/records/view ... f=29&t=231

Most importantly, Talishan writes:
DON'T GIVE UP!!
Many, many pigs go straight downhill after they get home from the vet, and after 24, 48, 60 or more hours of intensive care, sleep lost to hand feeding, worry and stress, you will be at the end of your rope. That’s exactly when you DON’T want to give up. Guinea pigs can take you to your very last nerve postoperatively, and just when you think there isn’t one ... more ... thing you can do, THEN they turn the corner and get better, sometimes very quickly and often very dramatically. DON’T give up. Keep going and doing what you need to do to help them through the recovery period. It will be well, well worth it, for your cavy and for you.
I will be off the board shortly and apologize if there is no one to answer further questions.

I hope your guinea pig recovers.

sozansound2

Post   » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:10 pm

I will take a look at the right now and make a list to ask and see if the vet has those meds and let her know about the concern of the pain meds wearing off

And thank you. I will try not to give up and will be hopeful if another med is able to be given to him and be able to munch on some critical care

And no worries. I will be awake all night

sozansound2

Post   » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:20 pm

By the looks of it, I need to go back to that vet tomorrow because right now, I cant give any pain killers, fluids or food at all.

This is a bit heart breaking

It is definitely gonna be a long night unless by a miracle he decides to munch on the syringe when trying to see if he reacts to it.

sozansound2

Post   » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:43 pm

The antibiotic the er gave me (not the very who operated) gave me one called sulfamethoxazole. She did not give me one because she knew I had that.

I dont know if thay is safe but even if he let's me hand feed him, indent feel comfortable using that as this was given to me from an er who said they want to see if he can pass the stone on his own and If I did follow them, he would do passed away

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:01 pm

A motility drug would most likely be a liquid which you would give by syringe.