Piggy behavior

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed May 12, 2021 1:31 am

Kinda off topic a little bit, but I didn't want to start a new thread and what I have to post is in line with a different piggie behavior. I just discovered that domesticated guinea pigs do have some pretty good wild instincts. Yesterday I took Mr Bubbles out to graze. Normally he gets excited and goes right to work foraging and eating the grass, but yesterday he just sat totally still in the corner of his pen. I sit right there with him when he's outside to protect him, but I didn't see the hawk that was circling over the neighborhood. Mr Bubbles knew and he knows that his best defense is to sit completely still. The hawk never flew over my house, but it was circling pretty close by. I put a cover over the pen and he relaxed and started eating the grass.

I really hate that they demolished the really big pasture nearby to build stupid apartments that few people can even afford because it has displaced not only the hawks, but the coyotes as well as the golfers and other rodents they used to hunt over there. My neighbor has a big granite boulder as a landscape decoration in his yard which now has a family of golfers living under it. So I have to make sure I take the baseball bat with me and put a good overhead cover over the outdoor pen if I want to have the guinea pigs out there.

I also have to watch out for my cats because of the coyotes. They are known to kill and eat cats if they catch them, especially if the cats are out at night. Hawks can also take a cat. It irks me how these developers don't give any consideration to the damage they cause or what trouble it causes the community. There are lot of us in this neighborhood who have cats that spend time outside and there are a lot of small breed dogs that are now in danger. There should be a law.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed May 12, 2021 9:45 am

I am enchanted by a misspelling (I trust). Lots of amusing images popping into my mind.

"...it has displaced not only the hawks, but the coyotes as well as the golfers and other rodents..."
"... but the coyotes as well as the golfers and other rodents they used to hunt..."

I trust you meant to say gofers and not golfers :-)

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed May 12, 2021 3:21 pm

Yeah lol. Gofers. The driving range that was there got shut down 10 years ago

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Thu May 13, 2021 1:21 am

At one time I worked in an office overlooking a golf course. Their rules were pretty lax, and young guys would show up shirtless, pulling a child's plastic wagon loaded with a beer cooler. They would aim for the office building windows on the weekends, and Monday morning we would come in to find cracks in several windows. One day while I was working, a golfer hit my window so hard it knocked the mini blinds out of the brackets. If coyotes are hunting these golfers, more power to them!

Waddles
Party Poop-er

Post   » Thu May 13, 2021 8:52 am

They'll change their tune if caught and made to pay for the windows. I don't understand why some people think it's fun to be destructive. It's like teens driving around the neighborhood smashing rows of mailboxes.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Mon May 17, 2021 11:26 pm

I have to share some funny piggy behavior here. A few evenings ago we had a power outage. We have a home alarm, so the alarm box would beep 3 times to alert us to the power failure. Each time the alarm beeped, Lacey made a purring sound. I don't know if she thought it was a threat or what, but every few minutes three beeps and a purr, until the power came back on about 3 hours later.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue May 18, 2021 12:23 am

That is funny! I used to think of this kind of thing as a "burrrr" - more grumpy. I wish we could read their tiny minds!