Floor time or wait for introductions

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Sat May 29, 2021 11:35 am

Hello again.

Bolt's baby, Buckaroo Banzai, continues to thrive. Turns out another foster had another guinea pig that gave birth early in May. Lance has been separated from mama a few days ago. When Dakin discovered that Banzai is a boy, too, they asked if I would take Lance and attempt introductions once Banzai is old enough.

Lance seems to be doing alright by himself (although we haven't even had him for a day). I recall from introduction lessons that I shouldn't repeatedly introduce and separate. I feel a little bad for Lance right now - Banzai won't be old enough for another week and a half. Can I have them spend some floor time together, or is it really just better to leave Lance on his own until I"m ready to separate Banzai from Bolt and the girls?

Just trying to make sure everyone is as happy as they can be.

Thanks.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat May 29, 2021 4:35 pm

Sounds like exciting times! How old is Buckaroo Banzai, again? Is there a big difference in size? Do you have a cage you can put a clear divider in so they have each other's company?

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Sat May 29, 2021 6:53 pm

Banzai is 10 days old and about 180g. Lancelot is 23 days old and 330g.

It is exciting times! Cages and space are such I can't get them side by side (and the walls are too high to really see over.

Lance has been popcorning a lot today. He's doing pretty well for so many changes recently!

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Sun May 30, 2021 12:40 pm

At their very tender ages, I doubt that they will have any introduction issues. Floor time together and then back to being separate should have no affect on their living together when Banzai leaves mama soon.

I did have two little brother boars who were fine together on their own for the first 2-3 months after weaning. Then all hell broke loose and I had to separate. Suddenly they truly hated each other's guts! I think they were sharing a 2x3, not all that much space, but I don't think a whole room would have been large enough to keep them from trying to kill each other. So all bets are off when they get a little older.

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Sun May 30, 2021 2:24 pm

Yeah - I tried warning Dakin that it's likely I can pair them, but it's no guarantee they'll stay that way.

I'll give Lancelot a few days but then maybe give him a chance to check out his new buddy.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:42 am

I had to monitor Wilber and Grady pretty close. They were together at the pet store but when I put them together in their cage at the house they had issues. They were barely 6 weeks old. Originally I thought that Wilber might have been missexed so I separated them until the vet verified that both are boars. I put them back together and they still went after each other. It wasn't blood drawing fighting so I let them work it out while I stood ready to separate them again if necessary. They've pretty much worked it out and aside from the occasional brush up, they get along just fine.

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:56 am

So the first two hours in the pen on the floor has gone well. I plan to put them into a new cage in about another hour.

Lancelot came with a hay house, and I'm afraid to put it into the cage for fear he might claim it. Can I wash it to get rid of his odor? Or will I have to just get rid of it? Or take the chance after a few days and put it back in? Any advice on that?

Thanks.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:21 pm

You could hold off for longer - say, a month or two, and then introduce it some time when they are looking bored or need a distraction of some sort.