Experience with Baytril for eye ulcer?

Post Reply

Post   » Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:35 pm

Hello! My 1-year-old female guinea pig got a sharp piece of hay lodged in the back corner of her eye (seemed like directly in the corner, kind of behind her eye) three nights ago. I don't think it was there long since we'd just checked on her maybe 30 minutes before. I removed it immediately and have watched her closely since then. At first her eye was a bit watery, but that improved quickly and she seemed fine otherwise until today, when we noticed a white layer over part of the back of her eye and some redness and inflammation in the corner lid area. So, it being Sunday and Father's Day, we took her to an emergency vet (who does treat guinea pigs but doesn't necessarily specialize in them). They said they can't see any remaining foreign matter, but that she has an eye ulcer. They gave us medications and told us to try to get her to her regular vet this week.

The meds are Ofloxacin drops (0.3%, 1 drop to affected eye every 6 hours "until instructed otherwise"), Baytril (20 mg/ml, 0.2 ml every 12 hours for 10 days), and Metacam (1.5 mg/ml, 0.2 ml every 24 hours for 7 days). For reference, she's a small pig (644 grams). Maybe I'm overthinking her meds, but I had a terrible Baytril experience with another pig who developed severe GI stasis while on Baytril for a possible UTI and died (despite Critical Care feedings and multiple vet visits). I'm wondering if maybe the Baytril is superfluous in this situation if she's already going to be getting the topical antibiotic drops (the Ofloxacin)? I know too well that antibiotics are not without risk. Then again, I'd be devastated if I forego the Baytril and she develops a severe infection of some kind. I do plan to call my regular vet in the morning to make an appointment and ask her advice. I'm just going mildly crazy tonight trying to decide whether to start the Baytril in the meantime (I'd give probiotics with it and supplemental Critical Care, but I'm still scared).

Does anyone else have experience with these meds for this condition? Thank you in advance (this is my first post but I've been a longtime lurker and so appreciate the wealth of knowledge and experience here!) <3

User avatar

Post   » Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:05 pm

I totally understand your concerns with using the Baytril when indications are pretty iffy. I agree some guinea pigs can have a difficult time with it (losing appetite). It also seems to me that the drops should be taking care of the possibility of infection. I would run your thoughts past your regular vet asap (which I think you will be doing) and like you, would consider holding off on the Baytril.

I have not had a personal experience with a similar issue or these meds (except for the Baytril - I think most of us are familiar with it). Hopefully you will get a few more opinions.


Post   » Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:53 pm

@Lynx Thank you for your reply and thoughts. I'm going to hold off on the Baytril tonight (already started the other two meds as instructed) and hope I can reach my regular vet in the morning.

Post Reply
3 posts • Page 1 of 1