Buttercup

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:47 am

You want to make sure she is getting an alfalfa based pellet which will provide extra protein and calcium. Very important for a pregnancy, recovering from a pregnancy, and while they are nursing (short time). An alfalfa based pellet is what the pups will need too. They are cute.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:43 am

Thank goodness she ended up with you where she’ll have the best care. I hope Buttercup and her little ones continue to do well.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:17 pm

Ditto. I love that vid!!! Babies are so cute! And already eating hay. It's obvious they're small, but when momma comes in you can see just how small.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:30 am

I'm now convinced that guinea pigs are born not only fully developed but also with all of their wild instincts. Here's proof:

You Have to zoom in to see the 3 day old baby hiding safely in the grass. Amazing (and cute).

Renonvsparky

Post   » Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:47 pm

The other photo on imgur was a duplicate and was deleted. Here's the original one.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:45 am

Here's a pretty good shot of Buttercup and all 4 pups. This coming week I'll be getting them sexed so I can get the boys separated from the girls. They'll be exactly one week old tomorrow so I'll have the whole week to get them in before I have to start worrying about them multiplying. If I can't get them in by Friday, I'll have to get 4 cages and keep them one to a cage until I find out for sure who the boys and girls are.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:56 am

I kept mine with mum till 2 and a half weeks as they were still suckling even though eating solids. They are so cute especially piggy bubs 2 and 4! Good luck at the vets. Love the green hay! Ours is so dry and dead looking and expensive.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:47 pm

2 and 4 are very close to being twins. Only a couple of minor differences in their markings. The Abby looks identical to Buttercup.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:15 am

The babies are exactly one week old now. I looked at them closely and it appears that there are 3 boys and one girl. The twins and the Abby all have round shaped genitalia and the other one (brown and white at the far left) has more of a "Y" shaped genitalia. I'll have the vet verify it though.

I should also mention that the vet advised me to hold off loading the new mother and babies up and bringing them in for the first week unless it was absolutely necessary, which is why I haven't done so yet. They're all doing very well, which is a good thing. Now that they've made it through the first week with flying colors, I can get them in for a checkup and sexing.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:32 am

So glad there may be a girl to be mum's companion. Paws crossed here! Good luck at the vets! I am guessing you have fallen in love and will keep them all. Like your wife wishes! Herd of 12, nice round number!

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:20 am

Loved the pic!! That's good that one of the babies is F so she can be a companion to Buttercup.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:23 am

The vet can't see the babies until July 21st, at which time they'll be 3 and a half weeks old. They should be able to stay with the mother until then, according to the vet. I have 2 extra cages, so I will be able to separate them as needed based on their genders until such time as we get moved to our new house. They'll all get plenty of space when that happens.