Buttercup

Renonvsparky

Post   » Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:51 am

With the help of Sef (thank you so much), I was able to verify that Buttercup has two sons and two daughters. They're growing up so fast. She's already weaned them except for the occasional nurse of the little Abby. It's going to be time to separate the boys from mother and sisters very soon. They just turned 3 weeks old yesterday so I'm going to start giving the boys separate time and by Sunday, when they turn 4 weeks old I should be able to separate them permanently.

I'll have to buy one more big cage when I get to my new house in Missouri. I have Scruffy's first cage and it's big enough for two small guinea pigs until such time as I get the bigger one. They all eat like horses. I can't put too much hay in for them and they go through the veggies very quickly. Buttercup is getting plenty as well. I'm making sure of that.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:26 am

It's so satisfying when they hay so fast that it's hard to keep up with them. Good idea giving the boys practice being away from Mom & sibs.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:55 pm

4 weeks old now and not nursing. They are eating hay, veggies and pellets on their own. The time has come to separate the boys from the mother and sisters. I feel sorry for them because they must be frightened of the new surroundings without Mom to hide and comfort them. I guess I'm their mother now, plus they have each other. I don't have a hidey with two openings except for the pipes. I cut the bottom out of it so when they're in it, they are laying on the bedding. That will keep it from getting really nasty when they pee and poop in it.

I had that problem with these tunnels before and ended up removing all but Sammy and Dean's because those two don't lay in them. They only go in theirs when they play or if something startles them. I had also taken Wilber and Grady's out because they totally grossed theirs out. That left them with nothing to hide in. It's not a terrible thing for them since their cage has cover on every side except for the front. I made their day today because I cut the bottom out of another tunnel for them. I made sure not to cut it too short so they can fit in it.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:15 pm

If they have a same sex guinea pig to play with, they will be fine!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:52 pm

Oh, they will be just fine. I know that. I also know that it is the right thing to do separating them and I'm doing it at the right time. That doesn't mean I don't feel sorry for them. Those loud squeaks that sound like they're crying out for mommy don't help. They still have each other and the cage with Gilligan and Skipper is right there where they can all see each other.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:44 am

I'll start chronicles on Buttercup's babies later, but in the meantime I'll introduce them here.

This one is Muffin. She's a very meek little girl. She is submissive to the other babies and hovers close to her mother. With the boys out of the picture, she'll have less competition, but I'll have to make sure the other girl and mom don't prevent her from getting enough food and water.

Here is Ruffles. Aptly named by my granddaughter, Hope for her Abby fur. She's an impetuous little thing. Full Abby personality.

Here's one of the boys. My wife named him Kahlua for his coloring. Pretty fitting. Not sure about his personality quite yet, but he doesn't seem to mind being held once you pick him up. He's also the most vocal of all the pups.

There's one more boy as yet unnamed. I am letting Ella name him since he's her favorite. He looks quite a bit like his brother, except he doesn't have as much white in him. As soon as she decides what to name him, I'll post it here.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:33 am

Last boy got his name and it's Jack. I let my granddaughter, Ella name him. I should have known she would choose a Supernatural character to name him after. I guess I should be thankful she didn't choose Castiel lol. Jack goes good with Kahlua, right? 😁

Anyway, Jack is nearly as vocal as Kahlua, only he's much louder. The two of them have been squeaking in protest since I separated them from the girls earlier today. I believe they are trying to call for their mother to come over and rescue them. I'm sure that in a day or two they'll get used to being on their own and settle down. Meanwhile we have been going in and giving them attention periodically throughout the day.

They went right after their veggies, so they aren't on a hunger strike as part of their protest. I haven't noticed that they are drinking much from their water bottle, but I'm too concerned as they get plenty with their veggies.

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:39 am

Adorable!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:23 am

Great pics! They are indeed adorable!

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:13 pm

So cute!! They're still quite small.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:47 pm

I noticed them getting after their mother's hind end quite a bit more when I separated them. Not really trying to mount her but more like a growing interest in her. I was going to wait another week, but with that going on, I felt it was time, so I went ahead and did it before something bad happened.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:37 pm

That’s an adorable little family. So healthy and well cared for.