Tooth issue and more

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:56 am

I hope you get some answers from your vet. Too bad the corn husks didn’t entice him, that’s the one thing mine will usually eat when she’s ill.

RubySimon

Post   » Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:31 pm

My vet is still thinking we can work on his teeth a little more. He is definitely improved over how he was when we started.
He is very odd about what he eats now. One thing one day, then the next it is gross to him. I will revisit the corn husks again in a day or so. Maybe he will change his mind. But what is strange is that my other pig, Luke, who eats EVERYTHING (except arugula) wanted no part of them either. I get the oddest animals.............
Right now we are dealing with Simon. And a horse with an eye issue. Last summer she had double corneal ulcers, trying to keep that from happening again. Our new rescue horse just had an abscess in his hoof. One of the dogs is terrified of thunder and fireworks, both of those things are happening a lot at this time of year. Lots of canceling plans and appointments to stay with her. Elderly cat is starting to act like she is having cognitive issues. Could be worse though, we have quite a few other animals.

RubySimon

Post   » Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:14 pm

Is anyone familiar with the Select Pet products, Nutri-Rescue or Nutri-Recovery. I had thought about putting Simon on Nutri-Rescue. My vet is not familiar with it. I reached out to Select Pet and asked if I could use the either one in conjunction with Critical Care. They said they were not familiar with it. I was not surprised since it is an Oxbow product.
I just hoped someone on here might have used either one. Would greatly appreciate any feedback.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:10 pm

I assume you're talking about Small Pet Select products?

SPS has a good reputation, and I used their hay for several years and was very pleased with it.

The only thing that concerns me about the two products you mentioned is that I can't find the calcium content of them. If you're just using them as supplements, I wouldn't worry too much. But it they're replacing a large part of the diet, I'd email the company and ask for the full nutritional breakdown.

RubySimon

Post   » Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:16 am

Oh, yes, I am sorry I wasn't clear on the name.
I was just thinking I would supplement him with a little of one of them. I was going to continue with the Critical Care and just add a little of probably the Nutri-Rescue in. I just am not very well knowledgeable about using supplements, I really never had to before with any of my pigs.
Really appreciate the feedback, I feel a bit lost and defeated right now. I am really trying to help him. But I feel like I am not really getting too far.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:22 am

It can be stressful taking care of an ill guinea pig but you are making all the difference. Hand feeding is essential (when needed). I hope things improve.

RubySimon

Post   » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:05 pm

Thank you

RubySimon

Post   » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:27 am

He ate some corn husks last night!! Woohoo! Now the big question is whether he will do it again. I gave him the more tender inside pieces. And not a whole lot, but there were only small pieces left this morning. Fingers crossed he finally decided he actually does like them! :)

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:43 am

You should always be feeding only the tender inside pieces. Corn is grown with a ton of pesticides, and the outer green husks should always be stripped off and discarded.

RubySimon

Post   » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:08 pm

Oh yes of course. We give the horses some too and always throw out the dark outer husks.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:41 pm

That would be cool if it was an acceptable alternative to hay! (roughage is important to the digestive system)

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:24 am

If he continues to like corn husks, they can be frozen so you have a supply through winter. I just get them from grocery stores that have a bin for husks that customers discard when they clean the ears. I fill a bag and explain to the checkout person what they are. Last year I froze 4 of the one-gallon freezer bags and that was enough until sweet corn showed up in the store this summer.