Tooth issue and more

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:44 am

That is such a good idea! Corn is for some reason expensive here still and my guess is not enough people are buying it to justify putting a barrel nearby. At least that is what I think since there are no barrels.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:35 pm

One discount grocery store still has a barrel for husks. I noticed fewer barrels last year as well. I thought it was because the stores were trying to be more sophisticated and they were trimming the outside husks off the ears to make the corn look better. Or maybe it’s just a mess to deal with since some people use the barrels for garbage.

I bought 6 ears at the farmers market this weekend and it was $4.50.

RubySimon

Post   » Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:40 am

Holy moly! $.75 per ear is a lot! I pay $.45-.50 per ear around here (Maine).
He had a larger pile of poop that he has had in a looong time and it looked more normal. Still some mushy stuff, but I am hydrating him and still doing some CC. And he ate a decent amount (for him) of husks.
I was just wondering what I would do in the winter, freezing is a great idea! Thank you for the suggestion. I think he may have eaten a little hay too. Not sure. He is eating pellets this morning. I also bought a botanical mix of herbs, flowers, etc. and he went to town on that. Have we turned a corner? Not going to count on that, I've been wrong about that too many times. But I am happy today!
Thanks for all the help and support.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:02 pm

Hope things continue to look good!

I am with you on the Holy moly! A lot for an ear of corn! I occasionally pick up some corn as a treat for my three chickens (they only get a small amount since corn is not all that nutritious). I only get a couple ears on sale.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:17 am

Glad to hear things seem to be improving - I hope that continues.

I've been to the grocery store twice now getting husks. Today husband went with me, but he disappears as soon as I start bagging husks. Then there's the explanation at the checkout. I think the price was 6 ears for $3.00.

RubySimon

Post   » Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:33 am

Well, we are pretty much where we were. He eats husks, but not great. He still refuses hay. Any kind, cutting, brand. Eating pellets, great with his veggies. He goes back to the vet on Monday. I still think it is a mouth issue. Will see.
So, can pigs have oatmeal? I buy a herbal blend from the chinchilla rescue. It is suitable for most small pets. My rabbit and chinchilla LOVE it. I gave Simon a bit this morning, he dove in. I use it as a treat 3 x a week. One thing in it is oatmeal. I wondered if I could be giving him more plain oatmeal along with the other stuff I give him. It is loaded with fiber and has no sugar? Any thoughts?

RubySimon

Post   » Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:56 pm

I have googled and read conflicting information on whether they are ok for gpigs.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:22 pm

Yes, I am sure there is conflicting info. I think of oatmeal as being starchy.

RubySimon

Post   » Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:31 am

that is what I wondered about. Maybe a few pieces as a treat, but I figured a tbl might be too much. Thank you.

RubySimon

Post   » Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:42 am

My husband is dropping Simon off at the vet again this morning. I am so scared. If they don't find something this time that they can fix, I think that is going to be it. I can't do supportive care for him forever, it's not fair to either of us. I just don't want to lose him. He is one of the sweetest pigs I have ever had, just really mellow and adorable. I have been trying so hard. I just hope he can pull through this.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:06 am

I think since the 2nd of August when you said he was doing better, to now, it is possible there has been some growth of teeth. I so hope your vet can set things completely straight and he can recover. You described all the ill animals you are dealing with. I understand how stressful this can be for you, your family, and pets. Pain medication can make a big difference.

Sending best wishes to you.

RubySimon

Post   » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:00 am

So, he had a bit of regrowth inward on his molars, but not much, so that was good. He had a small piece of tooth (premolar) that had broken off and was kind of stuck there. Thankfully, it was not stuck in the gum. She worked on his incisors again, trying to even them out. On one side, he had a rough spot that had caused a canker sore on that inner cheek. Poor guy. Didn't put him on AB's because they throw his gut off so badly, and she didn't think it was infected. I will rinse his mouth occasionally to try to help with that. Still waiting for results of bloodwork that is being sent out, but the inhouse bloodwork was good. X rays of his head/mouth looked fine. Still a little subdued, but it has not been even 24 hours yet. Obviously, his mouth is just a train wreck. It looks good now, hope it stays that way.
He is on Metacam of course.
The big news is that he GAINED an ounce! Not much, but he didn't lose. Very happy.