what's the latest about hormone injectons?

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:17 pm

Loved the birthday photos!

I know GuineaPinney goes to Dr. Rassin at Washington Ave Animal Hospital in Philly and thinks the world of her. Is this a vet you've tried?

Tracy

Post   » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:42 am

That Washington practice is relatively new. I haven't been there yet, but good to know its exotics doc is recommended. Radnor Veterinary Clinic is where Zuki's stone was removed (Dr. Donato), and the vet who was willing to give her Cystorelin injections rotates between Elkins Park Animal Hospital and Rawnhurst Animal Hospital (he's been seeing exotics for many years and I think did/does some Zoo Medicine).

This is the product I bought to possibly help with weight gain: https://www.chewy.com/exotic-nutrition- ... /dp/246978, though Zuki doesn't like the dried veggies in original crunchy format. But I turned some into powder and mixed with her homemade Critical Care + baby food, and she gets it that way (depending on flavor of baby food; we have to rotate because she stops liking each flavor after a while).

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:19 am

By the way, you can get Exotic Nutrition products directly from the company! If you get on their mailing list, they almost always have a 10% off coupon. Only downfall is that to get free shipping, I think you need to order $50 worth of products.

I get my mealworms for chickens there and they are by far the cheapest anywhere.

If you are on the mailing list, around Thanksgiving, they frequently send out a 15% off coupon.

Example of this product:
https://www.exoticnutrition.com/Product ... VB3EN.aspx

Tracy

Post   » Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:51 pm

Thanks, Lynx. It was cheap enough, and I was ordering from Chewy anyway so I added the dried veggies to try out. And if Zuki liked pea flakes, I was gonna buy some from Etsy, where several sellers offer bags. During my quest to help with her weight, I also learned that my Target has a much larger selection of baby food flavors than two of my usual supermarkets.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:21 am

Such cute pictures of Zuki's birthday party! I hope you can get some help with the vets that are available. It's so difficult to find guinea-pig savvy vets.

Tracy

Post   » Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:31 am

Thanks, ItsaZoo. We celebrated Zuki's b-day a few days early and then again on the actual (estimated/designated) date. I'm grateful for every day we have together and that she seems okay. Also, if you could see the remnants of that "cake" snack now... just some cardboard pieces left, but they still nibble from time to time.

Tracy

Post   » Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:40 pm

Was happy Zuki weighed 709 this morn. Most of the time she's around 685-690, or 700 on a good day. Lately she doesn't like Critical Care mixed with baby food, but she likes it mixed with cranberry juice and isn't deterred with dried peas/carrots (powdered) and shilintong mixed in.

Tracy

Post   » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:50 pm

Hello. I'm still trying to help little Zuki maintain weight or possibly gain. It's concerning when she's less than 700 grams.

So folks don't need to reread: she turned 6 this past July, had calcium issues diagnosed around age 5 (stone removed this past May and sometimes strains/whimpers still), and has cystic ovaries (how this thread started). Not eating enough on her own, so I'm supplementing with syringe feedings (plus bigger portions of veggies than her pals). I do realize they lose weight with age.

What about giving her some corn? How much is safe for them to eat without digestive concerns? And what are risks? Would love to hear from anyone who gives their piggies corn as a treat...or if someone tried it for weight gain. Thanks!

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:06 pm

How often are you syringe feeding? We started every 6 hours but when weight was lost we went every 4 hours. Plus we added and extra bowl feed. Small in size to the others but that worked. Jill hovered between low 800 to high 700 grams.

I have read on here that piggies should only have the husk of the corn. We tried corn but darn too hard to cut we went to baby corn but none of the girls like it. If you have confidence in your vet discuss with them what they suggest. Wishing you both luck! Thinking of you both!

Jill was 6 1/2 when she had to be helped to cross over as she fought and fought. After 3 hours she had very little fight left. In 2 days she went from 810grams down to 677grams. Think it was teeth in the end as she opened mouth just a bit. I now live alone and could not get vet to do house call for 2 days.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:19 pm

I remember Josephine providing some solid info on evaluating pellets and pellets that were corn based were at the bottom of the heap. So nutritionally, they are not very good. I'm sorry she is losing some weight.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:30 pm

Corn is also very high in sugar, so not good for guinea pigs.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:38 am

Adorable pics! I thought this thread was still about ovarian cysts - I'm glad I stopped in.