Gidget

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2020

Post   » Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:49 am

On Sunday, my husband and I made a trip to meet a little guinea pig I saw online. The rescue was a little over an hour away, and they only have adoptions on Sundays from noon to 5:00, so we just kind of picked up and drove down there.

Apparently she was part of a seizure by Animal Control back in August. At that time she was estimated to be about 4 months old, thin but healthy. They treated her with a drop of Revolution as a precaution. A few days ago she was transferred to this rescue.

There was a dog barking constantly while we were there, but it’s a foster-based rescue so hopefully she didn’t have to listen to that all the time. So Gidget (formerly known as Felicity) came home with us - this is truly a rescue situation.

Today Gidget weighed 546 grams. She’s thin but eating well - good input and output, and seems healthy overall.

Here is a link to some pictures: https://www.instagram.com/p/CUHJkuiM81-/?utm_medium=copy_link

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:34 am

Adorable. She has the same swirl on her head as Mr. Bubbles.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:51 am

She is adorable!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:11 am

What a cutie!

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:27 am

Oh my goodness! She's a little doll. She looks small to me for 5 mos.

Does she have a bikini so she's ready for the beach?

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2020

Post   » Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:16 pm

I wanted to name her Rose or Rosey with that swirl. But my friend has a grand baby named Rose and I didn’t know what she’d think. When I told her about it she thought it was pretty funny.

So I looked at name lists for inspiration. Gidget is a combination of girl and midget. She’s just a little skinny thing so it seemed to fit. Plus, she’ll have her own theme song borrowed from the TV show.

She doesn’t have a bikini, but maybe she’ll need some fleece and accessories with a beach theme. Looks like I have an excuse a reason to visit Joann Fabric.

Now I have to set up my big cage again, after I make sure she can’t stick her head through the grids.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:16 pm

Pictures! More pictures at the beach!

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2020

Post   » Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:18 pm

The local Humane Society just got 4 female guinea pigs in that are 5 months old. So I went to see them this afternoon and they are definitely larger than Gidget. One of them stretched out and must have been an inch and a half longer, and they are also filled out more. So I think Gidget is younger than 5 months.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:59 pm

She'll be with you for years and years I hope!

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2020

Post   » Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:22 am

Gidget is starting to relax a little and when she gets zoomies she is a speedy little thing.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUJiAftlOSb/?utm_medium=copy_link

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:51 am

Oh, she is so fast! I can't wait for her to have companions and even more space!

Anyone who bugs her, she will leave in the dust!

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2020

Post   » Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:15 pm

Gidget sleeps like my husband - one foot hanging out of bed!
https://www.instagram.com/p/CUVyYL8vsQ1/

The poor guy didn't realize that Gidget has her own theme song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JmLAhvsH-0

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:36 pm

I wanted to say I was familiar with the song but it wasn't a sticker! (no memory) I think some show theme songs stick forever - others not so much.

Gidget is still a winner!!!

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2020

Post   » Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:45 pm

I always seem to remember theme songs. I knew the whole song but I don't remember much about the show. I'll have to find some episodes on YouTube.

Yes, Gidget is a winner. She fell asleep on my lap last night. We have a few lap times each day when she snuggles into a burrito wrap and has treats.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:26 pm

Sounds like she's happy with her new home.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2020

Post   » Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:41 pm

I bought one of those Oxbow play wall toys. At first she nosed around and took a bite at everything, then she lost interest. So I’m using it to hide corn husk and fresh veggies. She walks by, gets a whiff of something good and has to go back and check for treats.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2020

Post   » Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:22 pm

Gidget started the day with a little lap time and a weight-in.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUxeqqsl9My/

She's at 594 grams, which is up from the 540 she weighed about 3 weeks ago when we brought her home. She claims its all lean muscle from doing laps and healthy eating.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:51 pm

Oh my goodness, she's precious.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2020

Post   » Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:27 am

Gidget has been part of the family for a whole month already. She's starting to figure out the important sounds in the house, like the veggie dish in the refrigerator, the bags in the freezer that hold corn husks and frozen bell peppers, and the kitchen faucet which sometimes means lettuce.

She's also making very soft wheeking sounds. She's getting more curious and she's learning about the snuffle mat, the treat ball, and her play wall. I don't think she had much for enrichment activities before.

In the evening, we have lap time. She snuggles in a blanket, has a few snacks and then she takes a nap while I read.

She just got a new Lixit brand hidey and I think she'd give it a 5-star rating.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVbFztMBG6M/

Waddles
Party Poop-er

Post   » Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:24 pm

Aww, what a cutie she is.

33 posts