Gidget Medical Thread

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:32 pm

Gidget got a good checkup, and there is bacteria in both ears. So twice a day she needs ear drops containing Baytril.

Everything else checked out, heart, lungs, eyes, teeth, feet, skin. I’m just so glad we have a clinic that treats exotics, and they actually have 2 vets, both of which I like.

When I asked for an age estimate, she thought maybe 5-6 months. I told her Animal Control estimated 4 months when they picked her up in August. She said, “Do you think they meant 4 weeks?” She was underweight at the time. She gained about 100 g in the 11 weeks I’ve had her, but she still only weighs 640 g. However, the vet thought her weight was good.

So I’m not sure about when to stop feeding young pig pellets. I’ve been mixing them with adult pellets. I also give a pinch of alfalfa hay each day, but I’m almost out and I don’t plan to buy more.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:14 pm

My daughter is planning on stopping thee alfalfa pellets & hay when the babies are 6 mos. They prefer timothy hay & adult pellets anyway.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:25 am

Gidget has a recheck tomorrow morning for her ears. I’m hoping she gets the all clear because she really hates the drops and I’m no fan myself. I ended up using a syringe instead of the dropper bottle because it started dripping right away and I had drips everywhere besides her ears.

We’re supposed to get high winds with freezing rain and snow so the drive might be interesting.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:09 pm

I hate bad weather to drive in! Hoping her ears clear up soon. I wonder if a virtual visit might work to check the ears? Some cameras are very good at getting the outer ear, at least.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:51 pm

Gidget got a clean bill of health! The vet got a good look in each ear with a scope, then did a culture and there was no bacteria so the infection is gone.

The roads weren’t too bad but it was cold and windy. Which is okay since people stay home and there wasn’t much traffic.

I also asked about feeding the young pig pellets since we don’t know her age. The vet said a mix of 1 part young to 3 or 4 parts adult should be fine as long as I’m not feeding any alfalfa. And I told her I’m feeding Orchard grass hay rather than Timothy because the Timothy is so course and just doesn’t look good.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:19 pm

That is good news! I'd go with the Orchard grass too, if it looks better. Glad the traffic was not too bad.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sun May 08, 2022 9:15 pm

Gidget is tilting her head again. It just started tonight. I held her for a while but she’s fidgety and whining. She bunches her blanket to make a pillow for her head so I thought a warm pack might help, but she didn’t seem to care for it. Now she’s kind of pulling at her blankets, and I think she’s got some pain. I still have some Metacam from when Lacey was ill, so I may have to give her some.

I’ll be calling the vet clinic first thing in the morning. I hope they can see her soon, poor little thing.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun May 08, 2022 10:23 pm

Aw, I'm glad you are so observant. Sorry she is in pain! et us know how the vet visit goes.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon May 09, 2022 6:10 am

Oh, poor little thing. Hopefully you can get in to have her seen right away. Fingers crossed!

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Mon May 09, 2022 2:22 pm

Guess who has ear drops for an infection? She also got a check-over and she is in good shape and at a good weight. She was feeling good this morning, eating and active, but she’s not happy about the drops.

And they wanted to see her walk around on the floor, so she burrowed into the fleece in the far corner of her carrier. Not a fan of floor time.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon May 09, 2022 3:55 pm

Oh good, I'm glad they had an opening to see her today. No, I don't imagine she loves the drops...ear and eye drops are always a challenge!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon May 09, 2022 10:02 pm

I hope you see results, asap!