Eye ulcer snd vet visit

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:47 pm

Whatever parts of the hay she'd like to eat right now is fine. We are pulling for her! Continue to weigh daily.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:56 pm

There are wooden sticks that are safe for them to chew on if you can't get her to chew the soft ones or don't want to give them to her. From what you are saying, it sounds like she's chewing enough to keep her teeth from overgrowing. I just mentioned it because I experienced overgrown teeth with BJ from weeks of handfeeding and no chewing. I ended up having to put him down. The overgrown teeth wasn't the main reason. He had other, deeper issues which made ending his suffering inevitable. Try these. All of my pigs love them. If you buy them from Amazon, remember to use the link on this site.

Kaytee Perfect Chew Guinea Pig

I know your pig is in good hands. Keep doing what you're doing. You're giving her the best chance she could possibly have.

sozansound2

Post   » Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:37 am

I'll give it a shot

And just before I was gonna sleep, I saw her strain herself for the first time. I think when the surgeon went around her bladder trying to feel the stone probably moved said stone to a much more painful place for her. I swear this happened the same way with my male last time. She was doing pretty well up till I took her home. It wasn't bad to the point when she peed yesterday I was surprised I didn't hear her vocalize.

sozansound2

Post   » Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:01 am

Woke up at 5am thinking I heard her vocalize (I could of been dreaming) so I went to check and it looks like for the 5 hours she has been on her own, she did not leave her pig hut the whole time.

Water levels are the same and hay has been left the same.

I removed her pig hut and she stretched and actually went to go eat hay. By eat hay, looking for the fuzzy flower heads (which there aren't any) and some other specific strand of hay thay i have no clue what it is. She found like 5 or 6 of them.

I dug again in the hay box for flowers and whatever the specific strand of hay she was looking for (literally kept giving her random strands) and she only ever took the flower heads. She went to drink water. She took a whole 2 bites of the water bottle and thats about it.

I am even surprised she even wanted to eat hay, or in this case attempt but if im not awake she probably would go hours without anything cycling in her systems.

I think the 1st cut Timothy hay will help out allot but I jist don't know if it will be delivered in time. There was no way I could predict this level of pickiness for hay.

Edit: finally, I waited a whole hour and she took a long drink at the water bottle. Atleast makes me a bit comfortable to go back to sleep. I was falling while standing the whole time.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:32 am

If I'm not mistaken, those fuzzy flower heads are higher in calcium than the strands and leaves. We had a discussion about that here several years ago -- you might be able to google it up. Or to google up some nutritional information about them.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:37 am

Just a note here for other readers, hay is the BEST method of ensuring your guinea pig's teeth are properly worn. I have never recommend chew sticks (I think they are a gimmick and not necessary at all).

You have critical care and have been hand feeding? It sounds like she is in pain. Chewing can be a sign of pain, too. I wonder if some sort of vibrator might help the stone move to a more comfortable place.

sozansound2

Post   » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:57 am

Yes I have been hand feeding with critical care.

I asked about how much syringe feedings i should do if she eats her veggies but not enough hay?

Really? Those flowers heads are higher in calcium? So what am I supposed to do if that is all she wants to eat?

sozansound2

Post   » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:50 am

Anything that I may talk to her in changing? I know penicillin is not good at all. Any alternatives?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:13 am

All I can really offer is that keeping her weight up will help improve her chances for a good surgical outcome. Weighing her daily (same time every day, preferably before feeding) should help tell if you she's getting enough CC. See:
https://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html

I'll let others weigh-in on the Penicillin, but my understanding is that it is safer when administered via injection (doesn't go through the digestive system). Orally is definitely a no-no.

Agree that chewing can be a sign of pain. You might ask about Tramadol as a heavier-duty pain med if the Metacam isn't cutting it for now.

sozansound2

Post   » Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:15 pm

Since tramadol is a heavier pain med, is it heavy on the gut or is it as safe as metacam? Just curious. I will still mention it to the vet. I am waiting to be seen since I do agree that the surgeon probably moved the stone to a more painful position trying to feel for it yesterday. Gonna have her get an x ray and depending on how it looks, her operation will probably be moved sooner.

sozansound2

Post   » Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:12 pm

So I decided to hold off on the antibiotic (especially because the blood in the urine hasn't gotten better so more than likely the blood is from the stone at this point)for atleast 2 days to see if it helps her. Does that sound like a good idea?

I spoke to the vet about this and she agrees but she may have to be on it a few days before surgery day.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:37 pm

Tramadol doesn't have much effect on the gut except to slow it down -- all the pain meds that I know of do that. That said, it can really zonk a pig out, so you don't want to give any more than necessary to keep the pain under control.