Eye ulcer snd vet visit

sozansound2

Post   » Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:48 am

i was just asking about how much cc would you feed a guinea per session. i was already aware of what he said.

i just want a general idea so i wont over due it per session so i just went with 3 cc for the time being till i get a response.

sozansound2

Post   » Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:18 pm

and how far between each session also

sozansound2

Post   » Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:38 pm

also she has still been fluffed up and visibly see her breathing a bit deep probably due to pain. she still moves and walks if she has too. is it normal for them to still be this way with metacam 2 times a day? i feel it is but just incase

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:29 pm

Handfeeding isn't an exact science. Oxbow suggests roughly 3 tablespoons of dry CC per kg of weight. You would need to calculate this based on your own pig's current weight. Again, that is dry weight of CC (before you mix it with water). You can then divide it into several feedings throughout the day--such as, every couple of hours. Getting as much as you can into her is important if she isn't eating a whole lot on her own. Weighing her at the same time every morning will help you gauge if she's getting enough to maintain her weight. You will likely have to adjust up or down, and experiment with thickness. I prefer to make it a little on the thicker side vs. too watery.

Fluffed up does indicate pain. I would contact your veterinarian if you feel as though her pain is not being managed effectively with the Metacam.

sozansound2

Post   » Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:46 pm

i have never used metrics like tablespoons and the like to measure how much i need for something. i will make sure i remember to weigh her in the morning without food. her weight is 829 grams with food. so she probably weights around 790 grams or so. i want to use that as a base for now to rough estimate how much to feed today.

790 grams= 0.79 kg. so if i am doing this correctly, 0.79 x 3 tablespoon = 2.37 tablespoons of critical care?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:01 pm

See my post above for how much to feed.

sozansound2

Post   » Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:35 pm

so going off the 100cc for every kg she weights. so 100 x 0.79 = 79 cc per day? is this correct if we assume she eats no veggies or hay?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:58 pm

Ditto Sef on addressing the pain. It sounds like the amount of pain medication needs to be increased if you are seeing her puffed up with slightly labored breathing.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:59 am

Agree on the pain. If her pain is being managed effectively, she just might be inclined to eat more on her own.

sozansound2

Post   » Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:04 am

i had seen her forage about 2 to 3 times yesterday and i think she ate some hay but i dont think it was allot. she still eats her veggies as well. she does tend to be interested in hay fresh out of the hay box allot.

she was 829 grams yesterday with food, today she is 846 grams without food. i gave her 12 cc of critical care yesterday in total. curious how that happened.

about the pain meds. a bit ago someone said the dosage she was on was already a bit high for her so i dont know if the vet would be willing to increase it, no?

Edit: i spoke with her surgeon and she said i can go from 0.15 twice a day to 0.25 twice a day. i will give that a shot

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:35 am

Your calculation on the amoumt of food needed per day is right.

sozansound2

Post   » Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:04 am

thanks