Jay and Jersey's thread

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:53 pm

I am so angry with the vet, I think I need to calm down before I talk to him again. Thursday of last week he wanted to give Jay a steroid for dogs and cats. Just a tiny amount. I said no. I saw what it did to Joy and Jill and my girls were not dogs or cats. He insisted it would stimulate her appetite.

Then Tuesday when I went in he gave her the needle with out telling me till it was done! He checked under ultrasound for anything, looked for mouth ulcers, cheeks(seems worried she stores food in her cheeks I told him it was normal but not to him. He did not go into detail about the soft palette but did say small mouth nothing he could do.

Temp, heart, lungs, eyes, ears, nose all normal, teeth too. Did not mention tongue but sure that must be OK too. BUT with Jaffa it took 3 sedation's before discovered her tongue was trapped. Vets here are useless and poor piggies suffer cause of it! Thanks Sef! She is losing little weight since vet visit-35grams in 2 days.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:21 pm

Injections given Convenia injection and Depo Medrol 20mg/ml. I will research these later today. He knew I didn't want NO steroids after what Jill went through. But he went and gave them to Jay while she was waking up and then came and told me. I was livid and lost my temper! He said only a small amount given and I said you knew I had said no previously and you went and did it anyway! It said it's harmless use it on dogs and cats all the time. I said does Jay look like a dog or cat? She is my pet in future tell me BEFORE you inject and if I say NO I mean NO!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:01 pm

Many drugs that are typically used for dogs and cats are used "off label" for other types of pets. A cursory search of Medrol shows that it is a steroid that is similar but a little more potent than prednisone:
https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/ ... isolone%20(brand%20names%3A%20Medrol%C2%AE,more%20potent%20than%20prednisone%20%2F%20prednisolone.
Prednisone can be useful in stimulating appetite.

I would be more concerned about the vet giving Jay Convenia. You posted about it a couple of years ago with Joy, and bpatters found that it is not considered safe for rabbits and guinea pigs:
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... a#p2299701

The information on this page also indicates that it should not be used in guinea pigs and rabbits, but states that some vets have used it with no ill effects:
https://www.vetfolio.com/learn/article/ ... -or-deadly

I would add it to your list of questionable/unsafe meds and take the list with you to any future appointments. What infection does this vet think he is treating?

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:03 am

What infection does this vet think he is treating?
To my knowledge he is just trying this and that in the hopes something works. It has to be something I am doing wrong. As Jasmine, Jaffa, Jan, Joy, Jill, Jay have all been around 3 years old and out of the blue stopped eating. With Jan was wind related, Joy heart, Jaffa teeth but Jill, Jasmine and Jay a mystery!

Went shopping today and got fresh food for the girls but Jay shows no interest in it. I am wondering whether I should try some pain medication to see if this makes a difference? Say about 0.02 twice a day? What do you all think? Thanks Sef.

Vet said all medications out there the manufactures don't have time to try it on different species. I got the lecture people train for 6 years to become the vet. They have the knowledge (I don't) so learn to trust them!(They admitted they know little if anything).

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:47 am

I don't think I would give her Metacam if she was just given a steroid. I know there the potential for serious GI issues when using an NSAID and corticosteroid at the same time, but I don't know about the injectible or how long it takes to get out of their system. See:
https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/f ... 9a1d8ef20e

Maybe someone else can weigh-in on this, but I'd suggest asking your vet before you do. In dosing Metacam, you will need her weight and the suspension of the drug (mg per ml) to determine a proper dose.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:05 am

I rang the vet and was told to give half dose for tonight and see if it helps her. So gave her 0.02 at 7.00pm so will have everything crossed it helps her. If it doesn't help her they were talking about another drug. Not sure on name, but no more drugs for Jay for a while I think!

One I think the AB injection lasts 11 days and the other lasts for 3-4 weeks. Currently Jay is 920grams and it was cat Meloxicam at 10mls.

Thanks again Sef! Will keep you posted. Keep paws crossed for her!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:34 am

That amount of Metacam is tiny (less than a drop) but I guess it's worth a try if your vet approved it. I think if you have the cat formula of Metacam/Meloxicam, it might be a concentration of 0.5 mg/ml. The 10mls on the label is just how much Metacam is in the bottle.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:16 pm

Thanks for reply Sef! Well things are same with Jay, all she eats is cucumber by herself. She is being hand fed and is maintaining weight. Has me and vet puzzled. I arranged pen so she and Jewel can see each other but all she does is lays by barrier. NO way am I taking it down as WWIII would be on for all to see. Keep you posted.

Is it normal for cleaning fluid coming from nose when piggy cleans face? First piggy I have had that does that. Thanks.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:17 pm

I am thinking of asking the vet whether it would be a good idea to start Jay on hormone injections. She did have a quick ultrasound whilst there but vet didn't know what he was looking at. Plus he could feel nothing.

She is showing all signs apart from fur lost. The vet said it was that as she would be bleeding and in pain etc. Anyways I bit my tongue. She is definitely in season and presenting herself, off her food and swollen tummy region(not hard). Now Jessie was on a cattle one but can't remember the name. Would anyone know the name of drug Jessie was on? Leave it to these vets and they might give her one for parakeets or something. Thanks in advance. Keep you posted.

Rearranged pen so she can see Jewel now but all she does is lay at barrier looking at her. When put onto neutral territory she fights like a tiger. Can't win with this one!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:38 pm

You are saying she has ovarian cysts?
https://www.guinealynx.info/ovarian_cysts.html

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:55 pm

You are saying she has ovarian cysts

I think so. Even though Ashley felt and saw nothing Jay is displaying same symptoms as Jessie did when she had cyst in her ovaries. But she might have something else as every piggy is different. Only going by past experiences. Thanks for reply Lynx.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:57 pm

Just got back from the vet. Vet couldn't feel any cyst, she did an X-ray and couldn't see any neither. So she is looking into hormone injection for behaviour issues. She will look up best one to get and order it. NOT sure where I read it but can one give guinea pigs Valium? This I have at home for myself. I am not sure if I saw it or not. I might have dreamt it. Mind all over the place. Thanks in advance!