Bloody discharge due to benign mammary tumor - advice please

Prabri_47

Post   » Fri Oct 21, 2022 6:50 am

Hi all. I have a 4 yr old male guinea pig with a mammary tumor. Hes had it most his life. We've not had it removed because it a.) Never grew in size, and b.) He's had other health issues before which needed surgery and we don't want to put him through it all again. But recently there has been a discharge coming from the nipple, today it is very bloody, but previously clear. He is otherwise fine and eating etc. But I'd like to know if it needs antibiotics if it is clear discharge, and secondly, apart from surgery and antibiotics, is there anything else I can do to make him comfortable or that I should look out for going forward? My vet doesn't want to keep putting him on antibiotics and says nothing else can be done. Has anyone have a brighter outlook?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Oct 21, 2022 2:29 pm

IMO, it should be removed since you're seeing bloody discharge. But it's not a terrible surgery, and pigs usually recover quite well.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Oct 21, 2022 3:23 pm

Has it also changed in size or appearance? Is it painful to touch? (if painful, Metacam might help.)

I also think I'd want to have it removed---or at least evaluated by your vet. A couple of my males over the years have had mammary tumors removed and they did quite well. At 4, your guy isn't young but not all that old, either. Did he have complications with past surgeries or the anesthesia?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:00 pm

I agree with bpatters and Sef that it's not all that bad of a surgery. Does your vet think it is infected? If so, this might complicate things (require antibiotics too). Most mammary tumor removals go fairly well.
https://www.guinealynx.info/tumor_mammary.html

Prabri_47

Post   » Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:12 am

Hi guys. It probably is infected as you say. I'll make another vet appointment and see what she says. Can't leave it but wanted to know people's thoughts. It's great to hear that it isn't too scary a surgery. Makes it a possibility. It hasn't changed in size or shape in 3 years. Poor guy had had a eye removed and would hate me, but maybe I should try the surgery instead of giving up on him. Thank you. Eddie will appreciate your help.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:42 am

Having a good vet can make a big difference. Let us know how the vet visit goes.

Prabri_47

Post   » Fri Oct 28, 2022 3:50 am

Hi guys. I sent Eddie for the surgery yesterday. The vet recommended it too. She said it was successful but he came home very weak and passed away a few hours later. Heartbreaking.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Oct 28, 2022 12:23 pm

Oh, I am so terribly sorry, Prabri_47! There are risks to any surgery though this looked to be less invasive and we hoped would go well. I am so sorry you lost him.

Lisa12

Post   » Sat Oct 29, 2022 4:27 am

R.I.P Eddie, little warrior!

You did always gave him a chance and never gave up..respect to you both..

I am sorry he couldnt walk out of the battle with another win.:(

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Sat Oct 29, 2022 1:14 pm

I'm very sorry.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sun Oct 30, 2022 1:22 pm

Oh, I'm so sorry. We've had 2 pigs in the last few years undergo surgery/ procedures that shouldn't have been too big a deal, but came home very groggy and died shortly thereafter. I assumed it was the anesthesia. It's terribly upsetting. Rest well Eddie.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:50 pm

Oh no, I am so sorry, Prabri. I really hate to hear this. We were all pulling for your little guy, hoping the surgery would go smoothly. It does sound as though he had an issue with the anesthesia. :(

Godspeed, Eddie.