Said goodbye to Simon

RubySimon

Post   » Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:34 pm

My little pig, Simon, left this earth this morning. He had stopped eating earlier this week. I rushed him to the vet Wednesday. Without going into a lot of stuff, he was just basically wasting away. I knew he had lost a little weight very quickly. They are suspecting a tumor. I declined a necropsy because it would not have changed the outcome. We did try a few things for a few days, but I just knew this morning that he was ready. I held him in my arms and watched him slip away from me. My heart is breaking. I will miss that little guy. He was so gentle and sweet. He was 6, but I thought I would have him longer, I didn't expect he would go downhill so fast. My vet and the tech were so lovely and compassionate. It as so hard to leave him there. I am having him cremated.
Rest in peace Simon. You are deeply missed.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:48 pm

I am so sorry, RubySimon. These little guys find a place in our hearts so easily. Losing any pet is hard - guinea pigs for us are very special companions. You have all our sympathy.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:05 pm

Oh no, I am so sorry to hear this. Simon was one of those extra special piggies, and I know how much it hurts to lose one. Though small, they leave enormous paw prints on our hearts.

Please take good care. I am sending you a gentle hug,
Sef

RubySimon

Post   » Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:57 am

Thank you so much Lynx and Sef. It was a rough weekend. I kept thinking I heard him. It was hard making the salads up and only having 3 containers. Ugh. Sometimes I wonder why I put myself through all this. We have dogs, cats, pigs, a chinchilla, a rabbit, horses and ducks. Every time I lose one, my heart shatters, big or small, it kills me.
Simon was a wonderful pig. One of the sweetest I have every had. I loved every single pig that has been here, but he was truly one of a kind.
I am going to check out some little ones today. I have always felt that giving another animal a loving home very soon after losing one, helps two ways. It helps me heal the hole in my heart, and it takes another animal from a shelter to make room for one that needs to come in. I know a lot of people have to wait, but having a new little face to love and focus on is so helpful. This guy is not to replace Simon. Simon is irreplaceable. But my other pig, Luke, is used to having a companion, so I want to get him a buddy sooner rather than later. He has never lived alone. He definitely seems a little lost, kind of looking for Simon.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:56 pm

It absolutely sounds like you are making the right decision for you and for Simon. You're both hurting - I hope whichever lucky guinea pig comes into your lives, he/she changes all for the better.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:03 am

My condolences, RubySimon. I’m so sorry for your loss. These little guinea pigs sure take up a huge place in our hearts.

I think you’re making a good decision to find a buddy for Luke and have a new pig to focus on. I did the same when I lost Lacey and it helped me move forward.

Take care of yourself.

RubySimon

Post   » Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:25 pm

Thank you Itsa Zoo and Lynx. For something so small, they sure do leave a giant hole when they are gone.

I did go yesterday to a GP sanctuary (that was a trip), and got a buddy for Luke. At least I hope eventually they will pair up. But for the time being, at least they are in adjoining pens, so they can see and smell each other, but not touch yet. Gabe is a little 7ish month old boy. I have an appointment for a wellness check next month and will discuss neutering him. I just think that it will help with having Luke accept him. Simon had been fixed, and he was just do mellow with any pigs. Gabe is a cutie pie. And it is helping by having him in Simon's pen. It was killing me to see it empty. And now with my fosters leaving, I am doubly glad we went and got him. He is giving me something to focus on besides being sad. And I am so glad to get him out of the rescue. Wish I could have taken a couple more...................

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:34 pm

" I have always felt that giving another animal a loving home very soon after losing one, helps two ways. It helps me heal the hole in my heart, and it takes another animal from a shelter to make room for one that needs to come in."

Yes. That's exactly how we feel. Rest well, sweet Simon.

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:08 pm

I'm so very sorry.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:02 pm

Lucky Gabe spending his first Thanksgiving in such a good home!

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:42 pm

So very sorry for your loss. It definitely takes time to heal from any loss, but our little ones are so very special.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:19 am

So sorry for your lost of Simon. Maybe my Jinx is showing him around? RIP little man till you meet again he will always be with you! Another angel got his wings! Big hugs.

GrannyJu1 nice to hear from you! Been way too long! Hope you both and furries are well!