Bloat

cucuzel

Post   » Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:02 am

Hey, everyone. My piggie is 3 years old and was diagnosed with bloating. We saw a vet who gave him treatment, not sure what, I assumed some probiotics. Then, to stay on the safe side I took him to an exotic animals’ vet and she prescribed Meloxicam and Metronidazole. He’s been on this treatment for 3 days and is still eating sppradically and avoiding hay. I’ve been supplementing with Critical Care and syringe feeding him water. He refused using his water bottle since I got him and hydrating by eating vegetables. I’m not sure what to do next if he doesn’t inprove. I should mention that today for example he’s been eating all of his poops. Should I reduce his vegetable intake and continue giving him water. Is his bloating exacerbated by a too high intake of vegetables?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:06 am

Why metronidazole? (antibiotic) Did the vet do a fecal sample?

How are your guinea pig's poops? Massage is something that has been found to be very useful for occasional bouts of gas/bloating. This section on Bloat has some useful links to more information:
https://www.guinealynx.info/emergency.html#bloat

A vet will often prescribe a motility drug to help keep the gut moving. What kind of veggies are you feeding him? Some can be gassier than others.

cucuzel

Post   » Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:09 am

No fecal sample. They did an x-ray and a check up. They heard some gut noises and noticed gas build up on the x-ray. The first vet might have given him something for motility, he seemed better taking that.
He eats bell pepper, parsley, cucumbers, lettuce and dill.
The poops I found this morning were solid, well shaped, maybe some were brownish. Since morning he’s been eating them.
Thank you for your help.

cucuzel

Post   » Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:30 am

PS Found one poop. Good colour, solid.

cucuzel

Post   » Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:06 pm

Hello. I need a little piece of advice. The bloating seems to have subsided, but during my piggie latest check they also noticed a slight overgrowth of one of the molars. As I understood from the vet, there are some risks associated with the surgery. Considering that he’s not displaying symptoms of malocclusion, should I take him for a filing now or wait. Will the molar continue to grow abnormally or could he just be ok?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:03 pm

Unless this is more complicated, I don't think of this as surgery but as clipping or filing to take down the height/smooth out the molar. Did he take an xray?

With clipping/filing/grinding a molar slightly to correct it, the anesthesia is the greatest risk. A competent, experienced vet or veterinary dentist (better) should be able to do this safely.

Molars can entrap the tongue if they over grow severely. More info and pics in the teeth section.
https://www.guinealynx.info/teeth.html