Woodland Loops

MyCavy

Post   » Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:06 pm

Ingredients:
Wheat flour, ground timothy hay, ground alfalfa hay, ground dried locust beans, ground peas,
soya oil, linseeds, dried dandelion (1%, equivalent to 7% dandelion), dried rosehip (1%, equivalent
to 7% rosehips).

Summary:
Limited to one per night as a treat. Not brick hard, but won’t bend. Breaks with a snap. Gives Oxbow Barley Biscuits a run for their money as the most wanted treat.

Rate from 1 (unsafe) to 10 (safe), along with a short breakdown of the ingredients above to validate your review.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:19 pm

I would be happier if there was no wheat flour. Ground timothy hay sounds good. Since this is kind of like a pellet but in a different shape, a nutritional breakdown is important - though if you are only giving one a day, that is not much (I was at first wondering what the calcium content was, given there is alfalfa in it). Often pellets will have a vitamin/mineral additive.

So what made you post about them? Are you looking for feedback? Hard to do without purchasing the product.

Are you sending out free samples?
;-)

MyCavy

Post   » Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:17 am

We discussed taking a look at safe/unsafe products in a previous thread, so I figured I'd start posting a few I've tried recently.

Not familiar with some of the ingredients and this seemed like a good start. When feeding "treats", I mostly take a Vitamin C veggie approach - avoiding sugary fruits - but don't collect recipes and bake, so this is the type of product I'd find and purchase every once in a while.

It's good to give/receive community feedback on those products so mistakes aren't made and non-benefical ingredients can be avoided by us for the health and wellbeing of our piggies... which is what this forum is all about.

MyCavy

Post   » Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:37 am

I'm also the creator of the guinea pig subreddit and it's good to connect users to sites and forums like this one if questions ever come up that need real advice and not just opinions made through social media outlets.

I've been online since the days of the BBS, so it's an old-school approach.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:21 am

Your approach to "a Vitamin C veggie approach - avoiding sugary fruits" is a good one, IMO. When I was writing my nutrition page, one thing I did was point out the complexity of how one decides what is a nutritious diet. If you asked a researcher years ago, they would refer to the nutritional mix they provide.
https://www.guinealynx.info/nutrition.html

But I think that is no fun and does not address normal tooth wear. I tend to take a more natural approach but am not an "herbs" kind of person.

Does this product focus on vitamin C, describing whether or not there is any stabilized vitamin C in it or just the rose hips? (in which it may deteriorate faster than pellet products).