Jewel and Jinx's medical thread

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:02 pm

Jewel is straining a little to pee and poop but vet said that was normal for her age but did not believe him so am watching closely! Yes Lynx she is losing weight around 5-10 grams a day. Again I am watching closely. If continues will hand feed more often, and give more water and Pron8ure twice a day.

As for my birthday a present I got was a trip to the vet! I am still in a stink over that! Vet said I had conjunctivitis in one of my eyes so had nasty ointment twice a day for a week! Slave said keep you posted! Thanks Lynx and Bookfan! It's a cat tunnel so nice and roomy!

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:19 am

Happy birthday! You look so cute in that little hat.

Lisa12

Post   » Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:03 am

Happy earthstrong-all the best!!!

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:21 am

Thank-you ItsaZoo and Lisa12 for well wishes for Jewel. Since my last post Jewel has continued to lose weight around 5-15grams per day. She is also straining when she pees and cries out.

I have mentioned this to vet and reminded them Jinx her biological sister had a bladder stone they shut me down saying just because she did doesn't mean Jewel has. I was trying to get them to understand it could be in Jewel's genes. But they refuse to even explore this avenue.

She went to vet Tuesday February 28th due to sore watery eye and I mentioned it to the vet but he wasn't interested. I hope to see Dr Helene as she is more open to exploring things or even Dr James who is open too. She is eating lettuce, tomato (cherry a slice), cucumber(continental) a slice and carrot but will not eat anything else.

I have upped the amount of syringes she gets when I syringe feed her and have managed to squeeze another feed in. I started yesterday but she lost 10grams over night. It may also be due to the Pron8ure as she has been on orange BUT I bought the green one as $30.00 cheaper. She got a dose Friday and Saturday, I will stop it and see how she goes. Keep you posted. She is booked into the vet Tuesday as Monday is a holiday here. I am watching closely. She is in lounge with me and other pigs.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:52 am

If you are willing to pay for an xray, that's certainly a good method of ruling out stones. One would think they would be willing to do that (the crying out and straining when she pees you would think would alert them to your proposed suggestion she may have stones). It could also be related to her digestive system but at least an xray would give you some answers.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu Apr 06, 2023 2:57 am

Thanks Lynx! Last night Jewel had watery eyes and like clock work she has the bubbly breathing. Vet said chest fine coming from nostrils. Before I knew what was going on instead of Bactrim he got this medicine called Vibravet 100 paste and gave her 0.05mls of it.

Is this safe for guinea pigs? Why do vets do this? 4 vets at this surgery and all give medication and then tell you what's going on. I asked about her teeth and heart as she gets roughly 10 URI'S a year. Told all clear. Please some-one tell me he didn't poison her! Also on Meloxicam. Keep you posted.

Googled it and Guinea pig form had a piggy given it and it passed the next day. Was only one I could find.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:54 am

I'm sorry to hear Jewel is ill.

Vibravet is doxycycline, which you can find on the antibiotic list, along with bactrim and baytril.
https://www.guinealynx.info/antibiotics.html

All antibiotics still need to be watched for negative interactions but this one is not classed as a dangerous med.
https://www.zoetis.co.nz/_locale-assets ... -2019_.pdf

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:04 am

Vibravet is Doxycycline

ALL the vets in surgery know I will not give my pigs Doxycycline as Jaffa, Jill, Joy all on it and it caused them to have soft poops that no matter how much Pron8ture they got nothing worked.

but this one is not classed as a dangerous med
For reasons stated above to me it is dangerous! It is too strong for their delicate tummies in my experience and opinion! Thanks Lynx.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:35 am

It is important to calculate what dosage they are using. If they are getting too much, it is more likely there will be problems.

https://www.guinealynx.info/antibiotics ... oxycycline

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:40 am

Jewel is on 0.05mls twice a day. If I remember correctly the other were on higher doses. But Jewel has been on and off antibiotics for quite a while now with the URI's she's been getting. Poops sometimes mushy. Thanks Lynx.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:11 am

This page explains it best and works for more drugs:
https://www.guinealynx.info/calculate_dose.html

While this is a "paste" (?), it is somewhat like a suspension.

So in order to calculate dose, you have to know:
dose ( 0.05mls)
mg/ml (this will be on the tube? will tell you how many mg in each ml)
weight of guinea pig in kg

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:19 am

Vet squeezed some into 3-5 syringes so I don't know any of that as I only have the 1ml syringes. Jewel was 1085grams. Sorry Lynx.