Thread for Melvin

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:45 pm

I've never heard of grunting having anything to do with teeth. If he's still eating well and pooping, and his teeth aren't slanted, I'd cross them off my worry list.

daj

Post   » Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:20 pm

Thanks, I will do that. Maybe it's enjoyment. He does love to eat.

daj

Post   » Sun Sep 17, 2023 12:22 am

Melvin is 6 1/2. He's been having pain occasionally when he passes a poop. His pocket opening was inverted too. These issues are not new for him. I thought I had a handle on the pain with diet adjustments, as he seemed to be pain free for a long time. I took him in and the vet cleaned out his pocket. It wasn't loaded, but there was a hard lump. The experience was horrible. The vet is a big guy who is not patient enough or gentle. Melvin screamed and fought desperately to get away. The vet also used a plastic thing to feel for poops or pick them out. The vet peeled off stuck on poop and only used lube after Melvin squealed. It was over quickly, and I kind of mentally froze. I was about to say enough when the vet stopped. Today Melvin is not quite himself. He's eating well, but has low energy. He seems to be having more frequent painful poops also. Usually I might hear him having pain once or twice in a day. Today he's had pain when pooping 3-4 times. Maybe his pocket lining is just sore or irritated? I've basically run out of vet options. This guy is the best of all knowledge-wise, but he big and rough. Picks picks up with one hand. Hard to watch.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Sep 17, 2023 12:25 am

Are you not cleaning him yourself? If he's having impaction problems, you should be doing it at least weekly, if not more often.

You, or your vet, should never peel off poop that is stuck. You can soak his butt in warm water and gently manipulate the stuck poop until it's soft enough to remove without having to peel it off.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:21 am

Ditto bpatters. Soaking really helps. Read over:
https://www.guinealynx.info/impaction.html

This is something you need to do more often. Some guinea pigs are even cleaned daily. A lubricant can help make it easier.

Pain while pooping can also be related to stones. Read this over and watch for other signs. Get an xray if you need to rule them out.
https://www.guinealynx.info/stones.html

daj

Post   » Sun Sep 17, 2023 2:58 pm

Thank you. I will get on it.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:25 am

How are things going for Melvin?

daj

Post   » Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:07 pm

Ah, just seeing this now bc I am seeing issues with Melvin now. Peanut is a little truck, but with bumblefoot. I lost Pinky last week, and now Melvin is showing concerns. What I have noticed is a drop in eagerness for food, but still strong appetite for vegetables and apple, orange. He is often stting facing the wall to the cage, which is blanketed. He's not so eager for pellets, and consuming as much water. He has shown some discharge from his eyes (watery or milky). This seems not uncommon for him. His energy seems of. No sneezing, wheezing, crust, but his breathing seems like a bit more forceful puffs. His poops are also smaller. He's probably eating less hay. I tried to get him in immediately but won't be able to until Friday, unless I can get him to a new vet sooner. This is showing some resemblance to Pinky, and I was unable to get his seen in time. I don't know what could be going on with these pigs. Peanut is robust and his infection seems to be lessening. At first I thought it might be grief for Melvin, but I am doubtful of that.