Juniper

Gpigsrock

Post   » Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:46 pm

About a month ago one of my bonded guineas passed away, and today was the day the newcomer, Juniper, would be introduced to my remaining girl, Cosette. I waited over 3 weeks before introducing them and had Juni cleared at the vet first. It's been a long time since I've had to do introductions, but this is the first time where I've had any issues. Cosette bit Juni's lip, and now she has a nasty little gash. I'd say it's comparable in appearance to a person that got a bad split lip in a fight. My concern is it didn't really stop bleeding; it's small and low-flowing, but it's not really the type of wound that closes up.

I've never had to deal with a bite wound like this before, and I had some trouble finding out how I should go about cleaning it. All I've done so far is dabbed some saline solution on it with a cotton ball, since it's in an awkward spot and right on her mouth. Is this the sort of thing that will heal up, or should I take her to the vet as soon as I can?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:43 pm

I am guessing seeing a vet would most likely depend on the severity of the cut. From what I understand, a severe cut that gapes open substantially would need to be stitched to allow it to heal properly and stitching might need to happen soon to be effective.

I suspect the bleeding will stop and suspect it will heal okay on its own (a clear, crisp picture would help). For any injury, you would basically monitor for signs of infection (odor, tenderness, redness - what you would expect an infection to look like).

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:58 pm

Ditto Lynx. These injuries in my experience usually heal up pretty well, but keep an eye out just the same.

You can try trickling a bit of saline over her mouth with a needleless syringe. She may be less than thrilled with that, but it may help keep it clean, and will not hurt her if she drinks it.

Speaking of, do watch to make sure she's drinking well. If it hurts to use the sipper tube, she may not want to drink adequately and that can cause other problems. Is she eating okay?

Best to her and to you.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:39 pm

One of our pigs had two bumps on her back. Turns out they were infected bites. The vet made small incisions & got the gunk out & then glued them. I'm sure a lip is a more difficult area to work with.