Quick tutorial needed for rescue sows

KarasKavies
For the love of my girls!

Post   » Thu Jul 04, 2002 10:22 pm

Wow... that´s very interesting.

KarasKavies

Post   » Fri Jul 05, 2002 8:06 pm

I have my 3 Mamas now. Poor VERY pregnant, very scared sows. I have had them settled in for over an hour now and none of them are drinking or moving. They are so scared, they are all huddled in one corner. 2 of them will eat carrots. One is a baby herself. Can´t be more than 4 months old. Another is so pregnant that when she is lying there you can litterally see a baby on each side also lying on the ground. Never seen anything like it.

When should I get concerned that they are not drinking? I don´t want to hand feed them and cause them more stress.

KarasKavies

Post   » Fri Jul 05, 2002 8:37 pm

They LOVE dandelion greens. As every piggy should! I left a lot of water on them so they are getting water that way. Their poops are normal sized.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jul 05, 2002 9:25 pm

Good luck. I know when you have a new pig or a pig you are worried about, it is like watching water boil. Hard to give them some space and hope they figure things are safe on their own.

Can they hear other pigs?

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Fri Jul 05, 2002 9:27 pm

I don´t believe there is a problem with nursing pups. There is no public written evidence, however. It has very low to no effect on pups in utero.

If mites are not suspected with clinical signs, I personally wouldn´t treat. That´s another reason we quarantine. I would treat for the lice, however. Advantage is safe for pregnant or nursing animals (but make sure you "consult your veterinarian" about that. Especially since cavies aren´t legally on the label either. :) ) From experience, I have even dared to use it on two-day old rescue pups. Worked like a charm. Better than bathing with awful chemicals. No studies on that, and I would be extremely careful since I had to titrate a dose out for that size pig!

KarasKavies

Post   » Fri Jul 05, 2002 11:51 pm

Thank Josephine! I haven´t bothered them enough to know if they have lice. I think T said most did. She siad she saw no evidence of mites. I think I´ll call N and treat the moms with Advantage if he ok´s it too. I´d rather get it under control before the pups come.

MAN... the one is SO pregnant. It is amazing. she must have a football tema in there! She has been real restless tonight. Can´t get her hind end comfy. She keeps shifting. Babies soon... I am sure.

Yes, Lynx... the watched pot for sure. It´s really hard with pregnant rescues because you have the rescue aspect AND the pregnant aspect! They can hear my girls but they are in two separate rooms. No door. I wish there were a door, but it´s not possible. They are about 20 feet and a wall apart.

They are eating up a storm but still not drinking from the bottle. Definite pecking order already!! Interestingly, the low pig is also the most curious one. She leads the way and then the others come and chase her out!

Lynx, I am sure I will be adding to this thread! if you think it should be moved to cavy chat, go ahead. Hopefully, we will have no emergencies!

KarasKavies

Post   » Fri Jul 05, 2002 11:57 pm

3 BABIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All look healthy and TSW!! The little 4 month old mom.

KarasKavies

Post   » Sat Jul 06, 2002 12:03 am

4!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KarasKavies

Post   » Sat Jul 06, 2002 12:34 am

Well here I was posting away on my 12:51 post and right behind me she was having pups!! She was in a small grass hut. Had all four in there AND cleaned up. The last two preg. pigs I had, I saw deliever. This way is much less stressful! Lifted up the hut and there they were.

lisam

Post   » Sat Jul 06, 2002 12:34 am

Wonderful! I can´t wait to hear more!

KarasKavies

Post   » Sat Jul 06, 2002 12:44 am

Well, even if by some awful twist of the justice system the lady gets the pigs back, these pups are safe. I´ll swear they born sick or whatever. They are safe in my book.

I expect the other mom to go at any second. May have more pups in the AM.

KarasKavies

Post   » Sat Jul 06, 2002 2:49 am

Just weighed the 4. They are big piggies!! 110, 105, 95 and 85. All look very healthy and fully formed. Mom has been non-stop eating!! She needs to get in there and feed the babies! Well, she must have heard me. She´s nursing 2 and cleaning another. Good mommy.