Could there BE a more difficult pig...

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jan 26, 2004 8:01 pm

I can only understand small bits at a time. A phrase here or there. Not sentences all strung together. You are mean and cruel to point out my disabilities.

p.s. if I were doing this, the pig would still be sloped slightly backwards. You didn't mention that the pig should be vertical to prevent aspiration. Now people will hopefully notice.

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Jan 26, 2004 8:02 pm

I still think my method is the best. Let me see if I can try to take a picture.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Mon Jan 26, 2004 8:14 pm

The towel method is great for piggies who just had surgery and have stitches in their abdomen. Wrapping them in the towel gives them some padding and I think it's less stressfull for them.

I buy baby blankets now and use them instead of towels. They have ones made out of fleece that are so soft. I'm sure that feels better than my hand against their stitches.

Lynx, I know you're only joking about your disabilities...guess it's been a long time since you've done any sit-ups however!

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Jan 26, 2004 8:19 pm

Okay. This is Para's Giving Meds to Ruthless Pigs Method:

1) Place pig on comfortable flat surface. Apologize in advance with a good chin-scratching.

2) Place pig's butt in the crook of your elbow (not shown). Slide your hand down the head to cover the eyes and prepare for.. The Pinch. (Notice the glare she's giving me..)

3) Pinch with your thumb and fingers on the upper jaw, just behind the nose. Pull up slightly, making sure the eyes are covered, and the jaw drops open. The pig is now in prime position for medicinal insertion.

monique2

Post   » Mon Jan 26, 2004 8:49 pm

This has been an extremely useful discussion. I'm filing this one away for future reference. The tips and pics were awesome. I grovel to your mastery.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:58 pm

Great pix! Who's your victim? I like her murderous glare.

Pinny Gig

Post   » Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:32 pm

Ouch! I'm laughing so hard, it hurts! Para, you really know how to make your pig pucker up, don't you?

Those pictures were indeed helpful. I again tried Pinta's method but, I swear, the brute strength that my boar has is unequalled in the guinea pig world...or the animal world, for that matter. Para, I've tried a version of your method but I didn't cover the eyes. I'll give that a go tonight and see what happens. At our last dosing party, I walked away with Baytril spit on my sweatshirt as a parting gift.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with a stubborn pig.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:33 pm

Love your pictures, Para. I'll make a duplicate dedicated post in the reference forum (or you can if you want, you can post there now) for "Giving Medications -- Paravati's Tips"

Erin8607
Knee Deep

Post   » Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:16 am

Clyde the difficult-

PG- what's wrong with him?

Pinny Gig

Post   » Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:18 am

Pneumonia. He's still got a lot of fight in him, though, as you can tell from his messy mouth. Actually, this picture doesn't show him at his worst. He usually looks like he went bobbing for apples in Baytril.

Wheek Times 3

Post   » Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:20 am

Paravati, can I tell you that I love you?

Doc is one of the most difficult pigs to give medicine to. Unfortunately, I've never had to give him medicine until his neuter which makes it so much harder as I'm so afraid of hurting him or opening his incision.

Well, I saw this thread earlier and the pictures were so helpful, that I tried it myself. It ended with a very pissed off piggy who had taken his antibiotic in 5 minutes! With your method, it really does make the mouth open...and then in went the meds. He never saw it coming.

I'm going to go do the happy dance now. :)

Wheek Times 3

Post   » Tue Jan 27, 2004 7:07 am

Heh, I just gave doc his antibiotic before I leave for work. It took a total of 1 minute! I can't believe it.

I love this forum!!